Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Can't shift into park - 1998 ES - V6 - auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:24 PM
warble
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shift into park - 1998 ES - V6 - auto

Hey all,
Just aquired a 1998 Stratus ES V6 - auto trans. Everything was fine until today (one day after I got it). I pulled up in the driveway and attempted to put it into park after a drive. The shifter would not go into park and my key is now locked in the ignition. Put it in neutral, shut the engine off and re-started. Still can get in into park. Called dealer and they ran a check on the VIN. Apparently, the recalls have been addressed and fixed on this vehicle.

I'm a little nervous as I don't have a wad of cash to fix a potential problem. Anyone here every experienced something similar to this issue? I'll prob. end up at the dealer soon, but wanted to post here and see what everyone thought.

Regards- W.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:22 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can't shift into park - 1998 ES - V6 - auto

those had button issues with the shifter...try ti take the shift **** off and see if you can push the level down further. or call a parts dept and ask them about the shift rod...im afriad that i dont remember the part number anymore..but its like 69 cents.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
warble
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can't shift into park - 1998 ES - V6 - auto

Thanks for the input BadStrat. I ended up taking it to a local dealer today and they didn't find anything wrong with the shift mechanism. BUT, they did find other probs. (of course). Tranny leak & solenoid needed replacement - definitely more than I wanted to spend to get it into shape, but ohh well. When in drive the tranny is shifting fine though, so I'm wondering just how serious the problems were. Perhaps the shifter issue is related to the diagnosed probs. with the tranny - who knows. Guess we'll see what happens when I pick it up later.

W.

Quick Reply: Can't shift into park - 1998 ES - V6 - auto