Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Average cost to replace a PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Jeffreybomb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average cost to replace a PCM?

According to my mechanic, the PCM on my car is stuck on certain readings and needed to be reset, which is why I took it to the dealer garage. He recommend I take it to a dealership so they can reset it appropriately.

The dealer shop said they were unable to reset the PCM and told me it needs to be replaced. I was actually very surprised at the quote they gave me. I had the same thing done to another car I previously owned for a fraction of the price I was quoted for my Stratus.

What's the average cost to replace a PCM on a car like mine?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
sapporo
Banned

for me I pay nothing. but maybe you really don't need the PCM replaced. in all my years as a tech, I can count the # of PCM's I've had to replace on one hand. but then there's been techs I worked with that seemed to replace the PCM on every car they touched which rarely fixed the problems

Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Jeffreybomb

I was thinking the same thing. The dealership I went to is currently in the process of "switching hands." Their lot is practically empty and their showroom is stocked full of file boxes. They've only got two mechanics and one supervisor on duty in a garage that looks like it could easily house about 20 vehicles. Hell, they've got an Enterprise Rent-A-Car there, too.

I have a hard time believing they've got my best interest in mind. I think they probably went for the quick-and-easy (and more costly) solution. I don't trust them at all.

My new mechanic replaced my timing belt and distributor. It at least got the car running, but the car still runs like there's a misfire happening. However, the original error message about a misfiring cylinder no longer pops up.

I'm now getting two different error messages relating to the crankshaft and cam. I don't know a lot about cars, so that doesn't really mean anything to me.

I guess the next question is: how do I research something like this? I lost my job last year and can't afford to have a lot of work done on my car.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The coupe is Mitsubishi based. Same exact thing as an 00-05 Eclipse GT. The ECU's cant be tuned or adjusted, but can be reflashed with all new data. Your best option is to check out www.car-part.com and search for a PCM for the years Eclipse I mentioned.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

a friend of mine got a pcm for his chrysler concorde of a company out of miami and i think he paid 249.00 for the pcm and after he returned his to them they gave him a core charge back..

Quick Reply: Average cost to replace a PCM?