Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Which Timing Belt Kit do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 PM
add|ct
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Timing Belt Kit do I need?

Hey, guys. I have a '99 2.4L DOHC that I need to replace the timing belt, tensioner, and pulley in. I'm looking at Timing Belt Kits on RockAuto right now. What is confusing me is this 1st gen/2nd gen talk, what does that mean? Is it in regards to the type of tensioner or something? Was there an improved design somewhere?

Any recommendations below?

Link:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5759

Last edited by add|ct; 02-04-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

When the stratus first came out, it had a aluminum manifold and then later the plastic. What that means is, the first was hydraulic and the other was spring tension.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 AM
add|ct
Rookie

Originally Posted by master tech
When the stratus first came out, it had a aluminum manifold and then later the plastic. What that means is, the first was hydraulic and the other was spring tension.
Ok, so the hydraulic is right for this car. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM
armaniEfiftyfive
Amateur

Originally Posted by add|ct
Hey, guys. I have a '99 2.4L DOHC that I need to replace the timing belt, tensioner, and pulley in. I'm looking at Timing Belt Kits on RockAuto right now. What is confusing me is this 1st gen/2nd gen talk, what does that mean? Is it in regards to the type of tensioner or something? Was there an improved design somewhere?

Any recommendations below?

Link:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5759
Hi there,

I just recently did this job with a mechanic friend. These are the parts I used but for some reason we had to crack the inner plastic piece (shield) a tad to have clearance for the tensioner. Also make sure to pick up a 3 prong a two way prong will not remove the cam/sprocket. Make sure to line up the timing and the hardest part was adjusting the tensioner. 3-4hr our job and replace all the belts while you are in there. Not a fun job to say the least really tight in there. Replaced water pump/thermostat as well. I would also recommend doing that as well. Car is running great and MPG is doing great as well. Picks up nice and on the highway it will go- not bad for a little 2.4 This has been a great winter car and when we were getting sub zero temps she would start right up.

I just put HID's in there and they really look OEM 5000k

GL

let me know if you have any questions

Part Number Part TypePrice EACore EA QuantityTotal 2000 DODGE STRATUS 2.4L 2429cc 148cid L4 FI (X) DOHC GATEST42121Timing Idler$ 23.79$ 0.001$ 23.79 GATEST43131Timing Belt Tensioner$ 55.79$ 0.001$ 55.79 ShippingGround (FedEx or UPS)$ 5.28 Order Total $ 84.86

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
add|ct
Rookie

Thanks man. I had a previous mechanic botch this job as he didn't replace the tensioner and/or set the correct tension.

I wound up having to cut a small hole in the top of both the inner/outer upper timing belt covers. The belt had so much slack it was rubbing against the top of the actual cover itself!

Needless to say, it got some damage and it's really amazing how it hasn't popped, yet. I'm getting this done myself this time to do it right and just wanted to make sure that I bought the correct parts first. I just purchased the GATES Part # TCK265B item for a little over $80. It's the 2nd item listed in the link I posted.

I'm not going to bother replacing the inside timing belt cover. A small 8 inch hole just underneath the hood isn't a problem...but since the upper/outer cover is so cheap and doesn't require more work I'm going to replace that one.

The previous mechanic did replace the water pump and I just replaced my thermostat myself. This should fix 'er up.

Last edited by add|ct; 02-05-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Timing Belt Kit do I need?