Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

starting/fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
mstaggs82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting/fuel problems

I have a 97 stratus. Will not start..engine turns over but it does not appear to be getting fuel. How would I check to see if the fuel pump is the problem? Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The most common problem is a blown fuse for the ASD relay, Which supplys power to the fuel pump and the starter. It is either a 15amp or 20amp fuse. Replace the fuse. If it blows again, replace the starter. The bendex on the starter is causing a short.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 AM
add|ct
Rookie

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
The most common problem is a blown fuse for the ASD relay, Which supplys power to the fuel pump and the starter. It is either a 15amp or 20amp fuse. Replace the fuse. If it blows again, replace the starter. The bendex on the starter is causing a short.
I have a '99 2.4L that keeps popping the IGN FUEL SYS fuse(I believe that is it)under the hood, a 20amp fuse. I sometimes can just replace the fuse once, or up to 7 times, before the car will attempt to start without the fuse popping. I've heard before that it could be oil around the starter???

Do you believe it's the starter itself, for this reason?

Last edited by add|ct; 02-01-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

In most case's the bendex in the start will cause high resistance and blow the fuse. I would recommend to replace the starter.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
add|ct
Rookie

In most case's the bendex in the start will cause high resistance and blow the fuse. I would recommend to replace the starter.
Cool, this is a big help. I thought I had some weird electrical problems starting. I wouldn't have thought of the starter itself since it eventually started.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Navessa81

Welcome to DF
I'am having the same problem with my 97 stratus. All the fuses and relays seem to be just fine. I am running out of Ideas. What else do could it be? Any help would be great.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:37 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Welcome to DF
Are you checking the fuse's with a 12 volt test lite or a DVOM?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 AM
add|ct
Rookie

I wonder if it's possible that oil leaks have the connectors around the starter, like at the bendix???, causing this problem? I've read around and heard someone successfully cleaned up the area and it fixed the problem.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Navessa81

Welcome to DF
Are you checking the fuse's with a 12 volt test lite or a DVOM?
Im not sure how my husband checked them. I will bring it up to him today. Its just a mind boggling because before this last weekend it ran perfect. Then it was getting -30 Over the weekend.We replaced the battery and now it wont start other then with starting fluid and dies as soon as it burns that off. So I know its getting everything but the fuel.

Quick Reply: starting/fuel problems