DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Stratus (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stratus-30/)
-   -   How much trans fluid?? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stratus/280236-how-much-trans-fluid.html)

jeremyw 02-14-2011 06:59 PM

How much trans fluid??

I have a Haynes Repair Manual for my 2001 Stratus 2.7 it says change trans filter/fluid put 4qts of ATF+4 lower the car on level ground, let it run for at lest 2 minutes then shift through the gears ending in park. Then it says to add fluid until it just gets to the add mark. My garage is pitched so I backed the car in and drove on to some wood to make it level. I've got about 4.5qts in it now and I'm not quite sure if thats how much should be in there. I just want to make sure I don't put to much in, I tried to search the web but can't find an exact amount. Does anyone know if there is an exact amount? I think I'm going to just drive the car and check it when it's hot at a gas station and go from there but what if thats not quite level?

22DODGE22 02-14-2011 08:07 PM

Does it really matter how much you put in? Isn't it the purpose of the dipstick to make the exact amount? You could drain the trans and put anywhere from 4-8 quarts depending how much fluid comes out of the converter, trans cooler lines, etc.

jeremyw 02-14-2011 09:13 PM

Ok then, I didn't know that it held that much so you only get about half when you do a filter and fluid change if you just drop the pan. The way the manual made it sound I thought I was getting it all and it didn't say to undo a hose like some of them. I just thought if I got it all out "which isn't the case" and there was a given amount then I wouldn't have to worry about it being level. Ok all is good thanks

master tech 02-14-2011 10:41 PM

If you are reaplcing the filter and sealing the pan, add 4 1/2 qts of atf+4.

22DODGE22 02-15-2011 06:24 AM

I did a filter change on my Stratus I only needed 3.5 qts. But when I changed the filter on my PT Cruiser, I had to ad 5.75 qts to properly fill. I wonder what I did wrong?

master tech 02-15-2011 10:44 AM

Nothing. Some cars will take 3.5 qts and some will take more. Like the durango or ram truck and the jeep with a 45RFE or 45RFE will take up to 8.5 qts of ATF with a filter change.

jeremyw 02-15-2011 12:13 PM

Thanks master tech

add|ct 02-15-2011 02:07 PM

Yes, I believe there is only an 'as much as' number as regards to how much 'could' come out with a pan drop/filter change. It can always be less.

If you don't get the 4.2 Quarts or so, that is more the exact number for the 1st gen stratus 41te auto tranny(not sure for the newer models or any one's without the 41te), then no sweat. Just top off with what was lost. You could always add a Quart and then fill that empty quart bottle with what was in the pan, and then repeat this process until you have only enough fluid remaining in the catch pan to partially use a 4th or 5th quart and get a good idea of how much is left to be added. This is assuming that you were at the proper level before you dropped the pan/filter.

jeremyw 02-15-2011 07:11 PM

Thanks for the help guys, all set the hardest part is finding a true level spot but made it happen in my garage. I used a line level and string then made up the difference driving it up on some 2x12s. I was just worried of getting to much in it, the manual made it sound like it is a very,very bad thing, I'm sure it is though but that got me all worried because if it wasn't just level I could have over filled it quite easy.

22DODGE22 02-15-2011 07:18 PM

If you're within 4" over 12' that's is level enought for accurate transmission fluid level requirements