Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Sebring 62TE issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Bzilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebring 62TE issues

Hello out there!

In November 2010, I bought a new Sebring Conv. LTD with the 3.5 and 62TE tranny. At our first oil change, I was notified that the underdrive compounder had an incorrect shim that would cause premature bearing wear, shorter life and noises. At the time we had noticed no transmission issues at all, and excellent fuel economy. Anyway, we went ahead with the shim adjustment/replacement, and NOW seem to have a couple of issues. When the engine is first started up and cold, their is a rattley/grindy noise. It's subtle, but unmistakably there. When warm, it goes away. Also, what I believe to be my 2nd - 3rd shift is sometimes clunky/slow, and more noticeable than the rest. This tranny also seems to be quite "busy" shifting all the time. Perhaps that's normal? Maybe I'm crazy, but fuel ecomony has also tanked?? Anyone have knowledge of the above? Is there a "break-in" timeframe before the start-up noise subsides? Should I have the dealer make the computer "relearn" the tranny now?
Thanks!
Bzilla

Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. It is under warranty so I would bring it into the dealer. I will move this thread to the Stratus section,
FF

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Bzilla
Default Insider info before dealer info preferred

I know that i can take it to the dealer under warranty, but I'd like to have other opinions/thoughts before I go in. Sometimes they're in a hurry, and get you in/out without giving the situation the time/effort it may need to FULLY resolve an issue. Thx!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would go to the dealer and ask for either a transmission tech or the shop foreman to go on a road test. The 62TE does shift a bit different than the 41TE transmission. And I would ask them about the noises that it makes when cold. You maybe ask to leave the car to verify the noises.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Bzilla

Good advise - Thanks guys!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site

Old 05-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Bzilla

Update - Apparently there IS a break-in type situation with replacing/improving the shim for the bearing in the underdrive compounder. The repairs/shim upgrade was done at 2.5k, and the vehicle now has 6k on it. The noise at start up is basically gone, and the 2nd-3rd shift issue has dissipated. Nice to now know that I won't have a new car with these lingering issues forever!

Quick Reply: Sebring 62TE issues