Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A/C leak - can I fix it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:16 PM
vorbius
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for your help. I will try!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM
vorbius
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

OK, so I did it! It wasn't that difficult after all. Took me like 4 hours to take apart and 4 to put it back together. I never did any serious repair in my car, I don't have a good set of tools but I managed to pull it off. Unfortunately the above link to the article does not work anymore. I emailed EHOW.com like 3 times begging to post it again, but they wouldn't even answer my emails. I had printed it before but came out w/o pics, so I decided to do give it a try anyway. It was pretty straightforward, but I bagged each set of screws and clips in little zip lock bags and wrote what they are for, etc., so it took long. Also,I had a bypass of the heater core as mentioned before done by a mechanic which costed only a few bucks, so I skipped a few first steps to drain a radiator. It is a good idea to do it as I was able to drive without heating all summer and I could take my time with it if needed and could have driven with dash apart. Also, do not forget to have a cooling system flushed before reconnecting so the core does not get clogged again! Costs like $75 or do it yourself. BTW, do not even think of finding the drain, mechanic just pulled out one of the hoses - it was difficult even with the car lifted. The clamp holding it was very tight and the engine was still hot.
Anyway, it is doable even by someone with very limited experience like me, just don't be afraid. If you have a bypass on the core you can always take it to the mechanic if you get stuck. If anyone needs instructions on how it needs to be done "the shortcut way" send me a private message and I will scan it and email it to you. Saves you something like $500 - $600 bucks. Good for all Stratus 95 - 00 and I guess Breezes and Sebrings. Thanks for all help to those who contributed.

Quick Reply: A/C leak - can I fix it myself?