Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

an old 1986 dodge stratus

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 PM
sandimont
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an old 1986 dodge stratus

I have an 1996 stratus 2.4 Lthat will not start.
about a year ago the water pump went bad and we could not afford to fix it right then so we parked it for a couple of months. When we was able to fix it we got in the car to start it up but it would not crank. We get no noise at all except the dash light that says BRAKE. The outside lights and inside lights work, the radio did work but no sound from it now, it has electric windows and they do work. I have checked and replaced all the fluids ( gas, windshield wiper, trans, oil, ect....) I have checked the fuses and tested them with a meter tester and all are fine.
Please help.....I need it tomorrow.

Last edited by sandimont; 06-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM
BillS
Captain

did you check battery charge,are terminals dirty ,sitting for awhile could have lost charge, enough voltage for accessories not enough to start vehicle

Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
sandimont

Originally Posted by BillS
did you check battery charge,are terminals dirty ,sitting for awhile could have lost charge, enough voltage for accessories not enough to start vehicle
Yes i did check that, the battery connections were clean, and it was hooked up on a trickle charge for about 18 hours.

sorry about the topic, its a 1996 not 1986 car. thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
BillS
Captain

yes figured you meant a 1996,did you try jump starting car, battery could test out ok with a regular meter,will have a surface charge but be bad under a load test.not to familar with a 96 could something have been knocked loose when water pump replaced,starter cables or ground wires

Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
sandimont

yes figured you meant a 1996,did you try jump starting car, battery could test out ok with a regular meter,will have a surface charge but be bad under a load test.not to familar with a 96 could something have been knocked loose when water pump replaced,starter cables or ground wires
We have not replaced the water pump so nothing could have been knocked loose. I found this on another website.....check the asd relay on it..... I don't know what that is.What is that?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
BillS
Captain

have an 04 v-6 trying see what i can find on alldata for you only thing i can find for asd is an auto shutdown relay,on an 04 its located in the fuse box under the hood,don't know if you have that box or not,if you do i think the main power goes in there,read sowewhere the main bus gets corroded and needs cleaning

Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM
sandimont

have an 04 v-6 trying see what i can find on alldata for you only thing i can find for asd is an auto shutdown relay,on an 04 its located in the fuse box under the hood,don't know if you have that box or not,if you do i think the main power goes in there,read sowewhere the main bus gets corroded and needs cleaning
So, if I'm understanding u right, it all could lead back to the battery? I've not cleaned ALL the cables coming out. I guess that's what I should do before i find out what a ASD is. Thanks

oh, one more question, do u know where the starter and starter relay is on a 96 dodge? the motor is in sideways and backwards. Hell, the battery is under the drivers side front wheel finder. I even went at far as crawling under the car to look for it in the back and middle of the car.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Check the fuse for the ASD relay. this is also for the starter too. ASD ( Automatic Shut Down) .

Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
sandimont

Thanks guys. It ended up being a blown fuse for ignition/starter. Now if I can only find a way to look at the water pump.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 AM
classicfan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by sandimont
thanks guys. It ended up being a blown fuse for ignition/starter. Now if i can only find a way to look at the water pump.

watch out! When my dad had my dodge and had this done at grismer, they screwed the car up and did not properly tighten the alternator bolt resulting in disaster on our christmas/new years travels! Beware who you take it to if you are going to a shop and avoid all grismer shops at all costs!

Quick Reply: an old 1986 dodge stratus