Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

huge A/C problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 AM
theRTguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default huge A/C problem...

hey guys, i drive a 2004 dodge stratus r/t 3.0 and have a serious problem with my air conditioning.

first, let me tell you whats going on:

the front panel AC indicator light does not turn on when i push it in, and i dont notice the compressor coming on. i also tried the method of putting the position **** on defrost and still, the compressor doesnt come on.

second, let me tell you what i have done to try and fix it:

i tried switching the relays under the engine compartment around (the 1x1 inch black cube-looking-things)... nothing
i tried switching the 10A fuse in the engine fuse box with a new one, and still nothing

anybody have an idea of what might be going on?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:32 AM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: huge A/C problem...

with a cold eng turn on the a/c. if you don't hear a fan come on your a/c ain't working (unless the fan motor is bad).

most issues come from lack of coolant/refridge (R134a, get it at the parts store). discon the low press switch (the wires going into the bigger of the a/c lines) and jump the wires with a paper clip or something. if everything starts working turn it off as fast as poss. your low on R134a. you can keep on filling the sys up every few days, $$$, or find the leak. 1st try a gasket kit and sealer kit. if that don't work take it to a shop, get a quote first. hope it helps.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 AM
theRTguy
Default RE: huge A/C problem...

wow thats funny... as soon as you posted that reply i found out that the car has a safety feature that disables the compresser when the pressure is low...

thanks alot man

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM
jesse135

I have 2, 2004 dodge stratus's, and what I found was that the switch that controls the vents and A/C has defective solder joints. Use a lope or magnifier to see if the solder joints have separated. Both cars had the same problem. Everyone might want to investigate this before blaming the Compressor or selenoid/fuse.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
clintonracer
Default A/C issues.

I think Mopar had issues with the A/C controls. (I can't find ANY used ones and new ones are $110!) I have an 04 Stratus sedan that first-off had the rear defroster not work intermittantly and now the A/C is inop. I'm going to pull my A/C head head unit out and check for those bad solder joints too!

DH

Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM
clintonracer
Default A/C issues-update.

Well I "fixed" my no-A/C and intermittent rear defroster inop, issue today. I bought an A/C control head out of an 05 Stratus and it fixed both issues. I was about to go buy the on-line Chilton's diag and wiring diagrams for $15 or $20 but I decided to take a chance and get the A/C head for $30 and it fixed it. I hate to toss parts at a problem but sometimes it works.

Like my dad always said there's more than one way to get lucky!!

Quick Reply: huge A/C problem...