Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Help please !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
yfz450man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please !!!!!!

Hi all new to the forum, And I have kind of a long winded help question so please bear with me,

I own my own body shop and my 17 year old nephew has a 99 stratus v6 that he bought from me, anyway long story as short as I can a few weeks ago just the dash lights went out checked all the fuses none blown, my neph tryin with infinite wisdom tried to jump a hot wire to the back of the guage cluster, oops no lights as well as no guage function at all and trans is in limp mode only reverse and second, now he wants me to fix it, I do some research determine the the BCM probably fried he gets a used one, plugs in and ba-da-bing all is normal........ for 2 days comes out from school and no start and the horns going off lights flashing, tricky part car does not have keyless entry, find out he got a BCM from a anti-theft car, I have him exchange it for a non a-t unit, now the horn and the lights are not going off but I still have no start, here is what I have done so far- checked for spark, YES, checked fuel pump-YES, checked injector pulse-NO, funny thing if the car sits for several hours and you attemp to start it will fire for about 2-3 seconds and dies, if you try again it just cranks.
SO I am on here with the hopes that some of you may have an idea, I have been told everything from the BMC needs flashed to the ECM is dead to the CAM sensor is fried maybe an injector is junk and that shuts down all of them, I am pulling my hair out any help would be so appreciated, and does anyone know if the BCM does need flashed and if I try a used ECM will it need flashed
Thanks much
sorry so long

Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM)
REMOVAL
The Junction Block and Body Control Module (BCM) are attached to each other. After removal they can be separated.

Remove Junction Block / Body Control Module from vehicle.
With the Junction Block/BCM removed from the vehicle, separate the BCM from the Junction Block.
Remove the two BCM attaching screws and release the two BCM locking latches from the Junction Block.
Disconnect BCM from the Junction Block
NOTE: The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) module is attached to the BCM with three screws. This must be transferred (if equipped) to the new BCM if being replaced.

NOTE: If BCM is replaced, the VTSS must be enabled in the new BCM via the DRB lllŽ in order to start the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
For installation, reverse the above procedures.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM
yfz450man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt have an issue changing out the BCM and it seemed to run fine after switching it out for 2 days, does the new (used) BCM need to be reflashed ??? and if so any idea why it ran fine for those 2 days ? seems weird, any other ideas