Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Vibration at 45 mph+ on '02 Stratus 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Duston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at 45 mph+ on '02 Stratus 2.7

Hello,

I have an '02 Stratus sedan with a 2.7 liter V6. The car has 148+ miles, but I just did an alignment when I bought a new set of tires.

My problem is that the car drives great at low speeds, but at about 45-47 mph the front end starts to vibrate. At 50+ it becomes really bad. Strangely, the car only does this while accelerating. I can take my foot off of the accelerator, and it is like riding on glass, but if I just barely touch the gas pedal, it starts vibrating again until I let off the gas.

I took it to a local Firestone shop, and they said the vibration is being caused by bad REAR upper ball joints. They showed me the ball joints, and they are loose, but could they cause a vibration in the front end?

Also, I have looked at everything on the front end, and my CV boots look good and dry with no clicking.

I am perplexed. Please help.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The problem could be the drive axle or motor mounts. Did you have this problem before the alignment and tires?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Duston

Yes, I did. I also changed the front engine mount about 6 months ago, but it didn't help

Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM
DunorGT

Have a similiar issue with an '02 3L.
Appears more at about 60+, give it gas and it feels like its running on 4 cylinders and the motor is about to fall out from the car. Heavy vibration.
Taking it to AutoZ in the morning for a free diag hookup, thought maybe Catalytic Converter maybe plugging up. May jack it up and look at the CV joints tonight.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Duston

DunorGT,

Have you found out anything about your car?

Firestone said my vibration is being caused by my rear upper ball joints (at the back of my car), but I've never heard of that before.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

If the rear upper ball joints are bad, you should replace them. It could be causing your vibration problem, even it on the rear.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Duston

Thanks MT.

I don't doubt that you are correct, but how can the ball joints on the rear suspension affect the front?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm not always right. But if there is a problem with the rear ball joints, get them replaced and that will be one less problem. There is a way to check the drive axle if you want to try this first. You will need two people to do this. Either jack the front end up or a hoist. use jack stands if you are using a jack. You will need to be careful when doing this because it can hurt. Have someone in the car, start the engine and foot on the brakes. The other person holds one the tires, Then have the person in the car release the brakes, make sure the other person doesn't release the tire. Then add some speed, if the car vibrates. If the car vibrates, then apply the brakes and do the same thing on the other tire.If that side doesn't vibrate. The problem is the drive axle that was rotating. Remember safety first.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Duston

I will try that.

Thank you.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
DunorGT

Duston,
Yes, mine is solved.
I jacked the front end up Saturday night and began turning the tires.
Looking down through the hood, I noticed that the passenger side CV axle was turning, which is good, but that it was also moving up and down. Driver side seemed a little loose but not the extra movement the pass side had. Got up Sunday morning, called AZ and they had me one by 1:30. When I pulled the old one the bearings and guts just fell apart on the tranny side. It was BAD.... Had the new one in by 5PM and runs like a champ now.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 45 mph+ on '02 Stratus 2.7