Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

alternate tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Plasma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternate tire size?

looking for alternate tire sizes for 2002 dodge stratus
original size is P205/65TR15, anything else fit that size rim? or new rims and tires??

Old 07-19-2011, 11:52 PM
UhhWhereAmEYE

the 205 is the width of the tire. i went with 235. 65 is the thickness of the tire. you can get em as thin as 35, but the ride comfort gets lower the thinner you go. and i wouldnt go any thicker than 65. i have 35's. R15 is the diameter of your rims. the smaller, the lighter, and the lower, your car will be. With my 19'' rims, 235 width, and thin 35 thickness, i get a tinytiny bit of wheelrub on huge bumps/dips on the highway. oh yeah, lowering springs brought the car 1.6'' closer to the tires though, so that's why they rub. if you get new rims, make sure they have the correct bolt pattern for your car (can't remember what it is but if you ebay stratus rims, the item descript. should tell you).

Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
ratsttam
Captain

if you change the circumference of the tire, that it will change your speedometer. So, going with a smaller tire (say 215/35/r15) will get your car lower to the ground, but will also have you going slower than what your speedometer says you're going, and using more gas to do it.

I would say going far outside the factory specs, isn't a good idea in general.

Also to keep in mind, the "thickness" of the tire, or how much space between the rim and the road, should get smaller as you get larger rims. Ex: 65/r15, 55/r16, 45/r17, 35/r18 would all give you the same tire circumference. The width of the tire is kind of preference. I like keeping them a little thinner personally, saves a bit on gas, is a bit better handling in the snow, at the expense of being able to take corners as fast as wider tires (not that I drive crazy enough to need wide sport tires).

Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My friend went to 225/60r15 on his sedan. I have 205/60r16 on mine factory. I opted for 205/55r16 for something lower. If you went to 17s you would prolly want 215/45r17. Depends what your looking for.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Plasma

thank you for the replies !!!!

i am trying to get a good tire as for some twisted reason looking for 205/65/R15 is bit hard round here in my neck of woods. Local wal-marts doesnt stock my size, nether does the used tire shops, found one that does and its huge blessing as they do excellent work.

I am going to invest in a brand new set of tires like goodyear or michellen soon and am trying to get full sized rim for spare instead of doughnut thing.

Trying to get informed as to my options..

wooot

Quick Reply: alternate tire size?