Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Transverse to Longitudinal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:12 PM
JayJayfrmny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Transverse to Longitudinal

Hey guys...I got a 04 Stratus Coupe R/T Auto FWD and I wanna convert it to a RWD Manual...any ideas or helpful info on this would be highly appreciated...Thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think the stratus coupe will support a rear wheel drive powertain. Unless someone on the has already done one of these mods.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the same as converting any other FWD car to RWD ...
You need to cut and reinforce the floor pan to provide a tranny tunnel to the rear, you'll likely have to reroute the exhaust to provide clearance , and move/remove the fuel tank to make clearance for the drive shaft/rear end. You will have to convert the front suspension to be non driven and the steering gear to work.
most make a coilover rear end with panard bars to support the rear end
Direct Connection marketed a kit to convert the Daytona/chargers to RWD this provides a good starting point

the new motor and tranny is up to you , and what you want to run/adapt into the car

Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 PM
JayJayfrmny

Are there any how-to videos??? I wanna keep the same engine though I may go with another...what if i do decide to go with another???

Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks bad venge.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Rocket67
Professional

Why??

Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
22mopar22
Banned

Originally Posted by JayJayfrmny
Are there any how-to videos??? I wanna keep the same engine though I may go with another...what if i do decide to go with another???

if you paid my time, I'd make a video of how to do this. but IMHO it's totally a pipe dream. if you have to ask for a video, you probably don't have the tools and skills that would be necessary.

there's a guy by me that did a v-8 in an intrepid and he has youtube videos. maybe you should start there.

IDK of any RWD transmissions for your engine.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swapping your motor would not be worth it there is no manual tranny that will bolt up.
A V8 swap would be far easier and more worthwhile. There are several V8 swapped Avengers as well as Daytonas/chargers I've even seen a Rampage swapped

If you look around there are several build logs on the net

Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
JayJayfrmny

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
if you paid my time, I'd make a video of how to do this. but IMHO it's totally a pipe dream. if you have to ask for a video, you probably don't have the tools and skills that would be necessary.

there's a guy by me that did a v-8 in an intrepid and he has youtube videos. maybe you should start there.

IDK of any RWD transmissions for your engine.
well, to be completely honest, i dont have the tools or skills neccesary to do the job...i just started school for automotive a few months back...i'll skip the whole "i love my car oh so much" speech though...i just wanted to know if it can be done and get any ideas as to how to go about it

Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
22mopar22
Banned

of course it can be done. anything can be done if you put enough effort into getting it done.

I made a daytona RWD. I had to make some brackets, do some cutting, welding, fabricating, etc.

ideas how to do it... first take the car apart and start with placing the engine and fabriating mounts, then fabricate an adapter plate for a transmission, then install some type of rear axle/suspension system. get wiring configured, build and exhaust system, and that's about it.

Quick Reply: Transverse to Longitudinal