Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 stratus hesitation issues/stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 AM
'98stratus"Rhoda"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 stratus hesitation issues/stalls

hey all,

I bought a 98 dodge stratus this past april (7 mos ago) the day i got it had to replace the themometer..easy..a month later the water pump..not so easy. Entails raising the chassis, dropping the motor, removing the timing bent and about half the engine housing to get to. replaced TB while i was in there. had 169k mile when i bout it, at about 186k now (LOTS of travel, much of which was in salt air, fairly certain made my issues worse)

Ok, the problem started at about 173k, would occasionally hesitate if pushed "too hard" i.e depressed accelerator to hard, and would bump and sputter at 50mph, another "symptom?"(dont think its related to main problem) is at right around 70mph the car shakes, doesnt feel like an engine problem, feels more like a body/axle/rack and pinion issue, in other words the engine feels fine, the car just shakes like all hell.

the issue didnt seem to get any worse for about 2 1/2-3 months then it started having issues getting uphill, had to downshift into "L" then back into "D" once i crested the hill, about a month ago the hesitant accel. problems got so bad i have to now start in "L" whenever leaving a stop, shift to "3" and if i need to reach higher speed leave it in "3" till about 55-60mph then finally shift up to "D"

Idling is a nightmare, occasionally stalls completely out, have to shift to "N" and periodically tap the accelerator to keep the rps up.

allright ive tried to be as detailed as i could here any help would be greatly appreciated.

also, ive heard solutions such as faulty fuel injectors, plugs, wires, throttle position sensor, crank/camshaft sensor, faulty ecu, fuel pump, improper timing position....

its too much to just buy it all and hope one of em fixes it, so pls help me narrow down a solution, it seems as if lots of people on here having similar issues, but their solutions havent worked...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 AM
'98stratus"Rhoda"

oh and on other symptom that started recently, when i went to the coast, if the car is off for a number of hours, say 8-9hrs itll usually start allright, but otherwise it will take anywhere from 2-12 or so tries to get it to catch (will crank every time but wont catch) and i know it sounds crazy, but "she" seems to only actually start in these situations once i start taking to "her" giving words of encouragement and whatnot(usually goes *chk-chk-chk-no, chk-chk-no, "come on rhoda, start for me baby" chk-vrmmm, will jump to about 2500rpm, then fall dangerously low, shift to "N" and feather accel, and ive got about 15-20 people who can attest to that....wierd

would prefer not to need to coddle my car

Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
stratusOwner70

egr solenoid and coolant tempature sensor... egr solenoid (transducer) cost 26.99 at autozone and temp sensor 16.99 also at autozone... had same issue and now im stress free and cruising the stress free highway again... hope this helps you

Quick Reply: 98 stratus hesitation issues/stalls