Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Shock/Strut Suspension Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
NuJerzyDevil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock/Strut Suspension Recommendation

I have this disturbing squealing/squeaky noise coming from my front driver side tire. It gets worse in certain weather conditions and humidity. Kinda sounds like jumping on an old spring mattress.

I've already had upper ball joints replaced along with lowers and an axle boot.

Still have the squeaking and I'm still confused.

Another member here with the same issue stated that he went through over two grand worth of repairs (including ball joints) before finding out that it was the "shock bracket" and that when he replaced this, the squeaking finally disappeared. So I'm off to order a shock bracket.

Well, since my 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT Sedan has original shocks/struts on it... I figure I might as well replace those to. So, I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good set of shocks/struts that would drastically improve the feel of my ride.

Also, if anything else in the immediate area could be replaced and/or upgraded i so that I won't have to pay a mechanic to disassemble it all over again. I could just knock many things out with minimal labor cost.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 AM
BillS
Captain

not many choices for an '04 in the way of shocks don't think anyone makes a good performance shock, any of these should be ok monroe,gabriel,dealer shocks(cost more unless you know someone in parts) or kb all about the same.you can replace the strut bushings(definately replace) ,the upper coil spring isolator (whatever its called replace) goes between spring and mount, , springs(will probably cost extra ,more labor), jounce bumper(sometimes) ,dust shield or bellows(doesn't usually need replacing) thats everything except the front mounts which are around 250.00(avg) each, if you do rear definately replace the rear mounts. '04's basically disinegrate over time on alot of cars.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
NuJerzyDevil

Now for the infamous versus question.

Which is better for my specific car..?

Monroe, Gabriel or KYB shocks?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
BillS
Captain

actually had all 3 on my car started with kyb they blew out within a 1,000 miles , then went to monroes quik struts on rear wasn't impressed with springs on them ,then tried gabriels and new springs ,then took monroes apart and used them with springs from gabriels(could do rear struts in half hour per side)monroe probably best of the 3

Quick Reply: Shock/Strut Suspension Recommendation