Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Cracked radiator.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM
chrger1970
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked radiator.

It seems my radiator has a crack, of course causing it to leak. Is this a DIY job? Its the V6. If it was my 70 Charger I would not even question, but it looks like there is alot of stuff in there. Pep boys wants $600 to change it, but autozone only want $106 for the radiator its self. What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM
ratsttam
Captain

First off, what year, coupe/sedan?

It's doable, but you may need to move things around or take off the front bumper and such.
What year, or if it's a coupe/sedan will make a huge difference in how involved it will end up being. You can probably also go to a small mechanic shop and get it done for much less than pepboys (who I would trust to do no more than basic oil changes, tire work). And since you have a baseline of what the new radiator will cost, you can figure out how many hours the shop will take to do the job.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Like previously mentioned, gotta know the number of doors. The coupe is very easy to change the radiator on. Less than an hour if you didnt know what you were doing.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
chrger1970

I started to take it apart and reliezed that the whole thing should come out as one unit. I would have to take out the refrigerent and take out the condensor with the radiator.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
BillS
Captain

what year is car? sedan or coupe ? the condensor is bolted to the back side of radiator it does not need to be removed or freon drained you might have to remove front bumper trim to get to bolts ,it depends on what year? and model?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:15 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a sedan, the condenser bolts to the car frame, the radiator is completely separate and 'floats' in the engine bay. Manual transmission is an upper and lower hose, and an automatic has an upper, lower, and 2 small lower hoses (or pipes) that connect to the transmission to cool it.

Quick Reply: Cracked radiator.