Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Check Engine Light Off With Engine But..

Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
garye
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Off With Engine But..

Hey,

I've recently purchased a 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2.7l and had the MIL / Check engine light come on. The code was P0455 which was potentially a large leak in the EVAP system. I had been messing with the gas cap just prior to this light coming on, so was just hoping it was that. My cap had some key lock issues and I was investigating them.

Anyway... after the MIT light showed up, I double checked the cap and tightened her up and made it click a couple of times and now after about 30 or so miles the MIL light went off. Happy days...

Just for fun though, I did the key in ignition on position and turned it off and on a few times until you get any error codes display on the instrument panel... well I was bummed that the error code is still displaying there.

I noticed that with the engine off and key in ignition position, the MIT light comes on and warns me of a problem. However... the moment I start my engine... MIT light goes away. Before, it was on all of the time with the engine on.

Is this typical behavior?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
BillS
Captain

the light is designed to come on when you turn the key to ignition position will stay on until you start car ,its part of the system self test. if the light is off with engine running i wouldn't worry about it

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Aside from that being the normal behavior in just about any computer controlled vehicle, the code will remain until cleared, or until it's cycled a fairly large amount of times.

Rule of thumb, if the light turns on during startup, but turns right off = good
Turns on while driving = get checked at earliest convenience
Blinks while driving = PULL OVER and shut it down, call for a tow truck.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM
garye

Thanks very much for the info!

I'll update this thread if it goes away after a few cycles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Off With Engine But..