Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
coming.undone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing issue

Hello out there. Here's my problem. I live in PA and i was doing a favor for a friend and drove him and his family to NYC. On the way my car started hesitating and jerking and then the check engine light came on. I would pull over for a couple minutes and then i would be ok for about 20 minutes or so. When we got there I went to AutoZone and had them put the scanner on it and it came back with P1391. They were already closed and just did me a favor by scanning it. When we woke up the next day the check engine light was off and it drove fine in the city. I returned that day and learned that if i turn the heater on it prolongs the hesitation. I was able to figure out that if it starts acting up just let off the gas and ease back on it. A couple days later i was able to get the camshaft position sensor and put it on and the car started acting up right away as soon as i started driving it. So i put the old one back on and continued using my "tricks". I thought maybe this meant that it was the crankshaft position sensor so i ordered me one up and installed it lastnight. Well went to go to work this morning and its still acting up. Im going to go trade in the camshaft position sensor sometime this evening and hope it is defective. Anything else i should check into?

Oh yeah i guess it would help if i told you its a 99 4cyl with the 2.4

Last edited by coming.undone; 01-15-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by coming.undone
Hello out there. Here's my problem. I live in PA and i was doing a favor for a friend and drove him and his family to NYC. On the way my car started hesitating and jerking and then the check engine light came on. I would pull over for a couple minutes and then i would be ok for about 20 minutes or so. When we got there I went to AutoZone and had them put the scanner on it and it came back with P1391. They were already closed and just did me a favor by scanning it. When we woke up the next day the check engine light was off and it drove fine in the city. I returned that day and learned that if i turn the heater on it prolongs the hesitation. I was able to figure out that if it starts acting up just let off the gas and ease back on it. A couple days later i was able to get the camshaft position sensor and put it on and the car started acting up right away as soon as i started driving it. So i put the old one back on and continued using my "tricks". I thought maybe this meant that it was the crankshaft position sensor so i ordered me one up and installed it lastnight. Well went to go to work this morning and its still acting up. Im going to go trade in the camshaft position sensor sometime this evening and hope it is defective. Anything else i should check into?

Oh yeah i guess it would help if i told you its a 99 4cyl with the 2.4
Since it does it more when the heater is on, I'm wondering if there isn't something with the water pump that's holding things back. The cam and crank sensors work together, so they both should be changed out.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM
coming.undone

Originally Posted by ratsttam
Since it does it more when the heater is on, I'm wondering if there isn't something with the water pump that's holding things back. The cam and crank sensors work together, so they both should be changed out.
It does it less when the heater is on.... i did change out both sensors. I exchanged the camshaft sensor yesterday morning and went to work fine...came home fine...drove to a friends fine. Then this morning it hits again.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
tombo04

I also have a 99 dodge stratus and the RPMs up and down and when i shift it to drive it jumps forward, i replaced input and output censor amd still the same thing happends, any advice out there?

Quick Reply: timing issue