Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 Dodge Stratus ES CRANK NO START...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 AM
RussEdward
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2002 Dodge Stratus ES CRANK NO START...

2002 Dodge Stratus ES brand new battery crank no start. When I sprayed starter fluid into where the Air Filter is; the car started up. There is at least 2 gallons of fuel in the tank.The car started idling wrong, the RPM's dropped below 1,000 and the dial started bouncing up and down like it wasn't stable and jerky. The car didn't start, and then shut off though. It kept running; Until I shut it off. I've already replaced 3 out of the 6 spark plugs, and don't think it's them right?

I hear the fuel pump make noise when I turn the key, so it's doing something. I learned that if you cycle the key 3 times and then end in the On position, you can get computer error codes; which I did and received the error code P 1391. This fault code is a loss of cam or crank signal to the computer; the most common problem being the crank sensor goes bad, according to fixya.com. Could this camshaft position sensor and/or crankshaft position sensor signal loss be why my car is not starting?

Could it be the fuel filter?

Honestly, would you put a new fuel filter in it first, Pressure test the fuel pump, or take care of that P 1391 fault code with loss of cam or crank signal to the computer first? Just to get it to start..

Finally, could it be the timing belt, or fuel pressure and fuel regulator?

-Thanks a lot So much ...
-Russ

Last edited by RussEdward; 05-03-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:01 PM
RussEdward

New Update: The crank sensor was replaced and this time it still wouldn't start on its own, but didn't need any starter fluid sprayed to assist, just the opening of the butterfly to let air in.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
montrese04

so what was the outcome of this?

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Stratus ES CRANK NO START...