Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Rough Idle'n'stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
thaddy1978
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle'n'stuff

Got a 97 Stratus 2.4. Drove it home from work, no problem, got in it to drive to work the next day and it was very rough at idle and slow speeds. It was pulsating. At higher speeds I don't feel a thing. The shop told me it was an EGR valve. Well, I know that on one of our old vans and my sisters car, she had the issue and it required a few cleanings and some sea foam in through the intake. I cleaned my EGR valve and while it doesn't seem it fixed the issue, it is a little lighter...or so it seems. I haven't really driven it in a month or so.

I did buy an EGR valve, but just haven't replaced it. I don't know why I hesitate, the shop did say that's what it was. But how do they know?

And just curious. I know that the EGR valve has to do with exhaust, but will my transmission feel like it slips on occasion with the issue? Given that it is running rough and the computer may be providing off info due to trying to figure out what is going on with everything--could that perhaps cause a funny shift?

I don't want to replace an EGR valve if the trans is slipping. Just more money. But I have only noticed this issue since the EGR has supposedly crapped out.

What gives? If it ain't one thing, it's three!

Last edited by thaddy1978; 10-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 PM
thaddy1978
Rookie

There is no check engine light on by-the-way.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM
thaddy1978
Rookie

Well, that settles it then...perhaps I will go ahead and replace it. No word otherwise...

Quick Reply: Rough Idle'n'stuff