Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'98 Stratus Intermittent Stalling

Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Mealticket
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Stratus Intermittent Stalling

Newbie here. My '98 Stratus is stalling when cold, usually at the first place I stop. It always restarted and then was OK, no problem when it warmed up. Then I had a couple of scares on the freeway, about a 10 mile trip. It cut out twice for a few seconds on the freeway but then caught again and kept going. It then stalled at a couple of lights in but after that made it home OK.

Scanned it, no codes stored but 3 onboard tests not ready - 'readiness not complete' - EVAP, catalyst, and O2. Used the live data and the O2s look great, throttle position sensor moves up in an orderly fashion when you rev. ECT seems to heat up properly. My tech guru says that when OBDII re-runs tests like above it may be getting ready to throw a code. So if we get a code that's great but in the meantime want to be ready. I also plugged in a fuel pressure tester and got 50 psi at idle. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe CPS? Any ideas would be appreciated.

MT

Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Mealticket

Forgot to clarify, this has the 2.4 engine,

MT

Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM
dchaloux
Banned

Really? 3 years and not a single answer? Yikes.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Mealticket

Well I did solve it. It took time. I had nothing to go on, no idea if it was electrical, mechanical, ie, clogged fuel filter, etc. I threw a fuel filter on it and while I had the engine idling looking for leaks the engine suddenly stalled and I heard clicking that I could localize near the ignition coil. So now I had my break. After research I found that two similar circuits come out of the ECU; ASD, and fuel pump. As I recall, they were both failing at the same time even though they're two different circuits coming ouf of the ECU. I had to deduce that the circuit feeding both of those was common within the ECU, and that the ECU was probably bad. I scored one at the yard for $50 and it's been trouble free for 3 years,

Mealticket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 Stratus Intermittent Stalling