Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.4 dohc oil pan... HEEEELLLLLP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Hicksvilleshick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 dohc oil pan... HEEEELLLLLP!

Ok, so here's the story, picked up a cheap stratus for the ol lady, 97 base model. The girl I got it from had a junk yard engine installed after she overheated and blew up the original motor.

Details as to what was put in are few, other than it was a like mileage motor, (odo shows about 119k at this point) I do know the valve cover advertises it as a 2.4 dohc.

Here's my problem. She parked it and quit driving it because it was "leaking something" I found and corrected a fuel leak, and upon doing it's first oil change in my care, found the drain plug/oil pan stripped out, so it's got a fair oil leak from the plug. So I've set out to replace the oil pan, the ol lady ordered one from jc whitney, and it's not the right one.

So my question to the dodge gods is this. How do I determine what era motor it is we've got and where can I source a new oil pan?

I've got some pic's here in case anyone can easily id it and advise.

Top of engine.

bottom front

bottom rear

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Why don't you just tap a larger hole and use a larger drain plug? Whole lot easier than replacing the whole pan.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Hicksvilleshick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ended up getting a oversized drain plug that snugged up we'll see how that works out.

But I'd still like to source another oil pan for down the road. I can see trying to tap it out and it splitting the pan.