Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stalling 2000 Status Sedan 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 PM
taylormade88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the strangest problem I've heard of. Did you find the cause yet? Maybe fuel delivery? Why do you have to wait 5 mins before the car will restart?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM
juancarlos37

Originally Posted by raphenning
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan 2.0L which stalls but does not turn on the check engine light and initially provided no codes. I have changed the following in this order:
1) Battery
2) Crank Position Sensor
3) Cam Position Sensor
4) MAP Sensor
5) Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter
6) Spark Plugs
7) ECU
And I still have the same problem? I borrowed a OTC Genesis Touch and finally got a P0320 code.

The fixes for P0320 code list all of the devices listed above and the "ignition/engine distributor engine speed sensor"

What is the "ignition/engine distributor engine speed sensor" is that not the Crank and Cam sensors

Car always starts initially and after driving it for 1.0-1.5 miles it stalls and wont restart right away. As long as I wait ~5 minutes the car will restart and I can again drive it for about the same distance and it will stall again?
Yes. Crank and cam sensors are used to determine engine speed on this model. First thing I will do is swap the ASD relay for the one from a fan. A common problem in this engine are the CAM connector CABLES. Crank and Cam share the same 5 volt supply from the ecm. A short in cam will kill the 5 volt supply to crank sensor, and since crank is not pulsing, no error codes are stored. Peel away the insulation 3 or 4 inches and check cables. They can be bare at some points or insulation will be broken leaving small gaps. This cables are usually covered in oil and dirt, causing an intermitent short. OR when your car stalls and you can't start it, disconnect the cam connector and test for 5 volt supply.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM
juancarlos37

Originally Posted by raphenning
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan 2.0L which stalls but does not turn on the check engine light and initially provided no codes. I have changed the following in this order:
1) Battery
2) Crank Position Sensor
3) Cam Position Sensor
4) MAP Sensor
5) Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter
6) Spark Plugs
7) ECU
And I still have the same problem? I borrowed a OTC Genesis Touch and finally got a P0320 code.

The fixes for P0320 code list all of the devices listed above and the "ignition/engine distributor engine speed sensor"

What is the "ignition/engine distributor engine speed sensor" is that not the Crank and Cam sensors

Car always starts initially and after driving it for 1.0-1.5 miles it stalls and wont restart right away. As long as I wait ~5 minutes the car will restart and I can again drive it for about the same distance and it will stall again?
According to the Factory service manual for your car P0320 is "no crank reference signal at pcm" To ecm Your engine is not turning.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 PM
teraldo79

i would look at the wires for the Crank position sensor. If one is loose the contact could be shorting causing the engine to stall, and faulting the blinker at the relay. My guess is if you trace the wiring from the connector you will find that it is rubbed bare somewhere and touching the engine.

The odd duck here though is the engine trouble code. I had a neon with the same engine go through those about every 2 years, but i never got a trouble code from it.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:00 PM
juancarlos37

Originally Posted by teraldo79
i would look at the wires for the Crank position sensor. If one is loose the contact could be shorting causing the engine to stall, and faulting the blinker at the relay. My guess is if you trace the wiring from the connector you will find that it is rubbed bare somewhere and touching the engine.

The odd duck here though is the engine trouble code. I had a neon with the same engine go through those about every 2 years, but i never got a trouble code from it.
You are right about the wire being bare and shorting to ground, but most commonly I have seen this happen on the cam sensor. The heat roasts the insulation on the wires and it actually disintegrates on parts of the 3 wires. You can not see this unless you unwrap the insulation tape. Oil and dirt inside the tape causes an intermittent short. One of the wires is ground, and another is 5 volt supply which is shared by the crank sensor. You get a short on these wires and the 5 volt supply to the crank is cut, killing the pcm. Since the pcm senses the death of the crank signal BEFORE the death of current from the ignition switch, a "no crank reference" is stored.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM
raphenning
Default Replaced Cam Sensor Again

Seems the problem is definitely related to the CAM sensor so I purchased a second CAM sensor but this time purchased an OEM replacement CAM sensor from the dealer.

When replacing the CAM sensor for a second time I dug into the wiring harness for the plug associated with the CAM sensor and found a the three(3) conductors had butt spliced! So it appears the plug had been replaced previously? I pealed back the tape and flexible wiring harness and cut out the butt splices cleaned the cabling and carefully inspected the conductors but did not see anything obvious? But now the plug is too short to reach the CAM sensor so I ended up splicing in a ~6 inch three conductor cable and I soldered and heat shrinked the two splices.

I started the car and had no codes and when car was running I unplugged the CAM sensor and the car stopped and had a code
"P0340 - Powertrain Camshaft sensor Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)" error message

I re-plugged in the CAM sensor and tried to reset the fault but it would not reset? Engine did re-start so I wanted to see if it would stall again so took it for a test ride. My test ride was 50+ miles and car never stalled but I was not able to reset the fault code?

So at this point the CAM sensor is definitely not the issue and I believe the issues is with the wiring associated with the CAM sensor. I decided to drive the car into the local Dodge dealer and have them look at the CAM Sensor wiring. On my trip into town the car ran again with no problems for 15 miles and then it stalled again! I tried to re-start but I waited ~5 minutes and it did re-start and car is now at the local Dodge dealer.

I will REPLY again to this thread after the dealer looks into this issue and provide a final answer to this never ending problem with this stalling Stratus.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 PM
raphenning

I ordered a new connector for the CAM sensor and replaced it and now the car works fine.

Wow! What a long journey to find this problem!