Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Flashing check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Triggerbass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing check engine light

I have a 03 dodge stratus that has a flashing check engine light. The car will die while I am moving. I was going about 65mph on the highway when it reed up and then started to sputter as if my camshaft position sensor was out. I went and had them warranty it out since its gone out before and replaced it. That it when the check enginr light started to flash. After i replaced the senspr. I have since put 3 new sensors on to see if it was just a defective part and nothing has changed. I looked up a flashing check engine light and everything says a misfire but where could that misfire be? None of my spark plugs are bad either.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

A flashing check engine light means a serious misfire is occurring. Continuing to drive the vehicle could result in sever engine damage.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the flashing cel means there is a engine misfire that will cause damage to the catalytic convertor if you continue to drive it.

isolate the misfire to a specific cylinder if possible; check for dtc. a p0300 will be set but the misfire monitor may also set a dtc for a specific cylinder
-check the misfire history...the misfire monitor may have misfire history for each cylinder. A good scan tool may have a misfire counter in data display where you can see the misfires accumulate for each cylinder.

-once its isolated to a specific cylinder...swap plugs with a good cylinder and see if the misfire follows the plug. if you have coil over plug ignition coils...do the same thing with each coil.

-if you have spark plug wires; spray them with a mist of water...listen and inspect...cables shorting to grd will make a snap sound and you may see the spark jump to grd.

-do a compression check; this checks for a mechanical problem

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Triggerbass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
the flashing cel means there is a engine misfire that will cause damage to the catalytic convertor if you continue to drive it.

isolate the misfire to a specific cylinder if possible; check for dtc. a p0300 will be set but the misfire monitor may also set a dtc for a specific cylinder
-check the misfire history...the misfire monitor may have misfire history for each cylinder. A good scan tool may have a misfire counter in data display where you can see the misfires accumulate for each cylinder.

-once its isolated to a specific cylinder...swap plugs with a good cylinder and see if the misfire follows the plug. if you have coil over plug ignition coils...do the same thing with each coil.

-if you have spark plug wires; spray them with a mist of water...listen and inspect...cables shorting to grd will make a snap sound and you may see the spark jump to grd.

-do a compression check; this checks for a mechanical problem

could this be the crankshaft position sensor?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i doubt it. a cks sensor fault would cause a crank, no start. if you are not getting a dtc for a cks sensor; its not cks related.

Quick Reply: Flashing check engine light