Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Noisy serp belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 AM
wilson_46256
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy serp belt

1999 Stratus, 2.5L, 180k, new serp belt, alt, idler pulley in June of 2018. Idler pulley was whirring. Fixed until recently; now the belt area has a combo rattle, screech noise. Gave the serp a hit of PB Blaster and cured it for a minute, came back screeching like a hungry owl. Belt has perfect tension, might be a tad loose. How do I isolate which pulley is making the noise without replacing them all? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:16 PM
workin2hard
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson_46256
1999 Stratus, 2.5L, 180k, new serp belt, alt, idler pulley in June of 2018. Idler pulley was whirring. Fixed until recently; now the belt area has a combo rattle, screech noise. Gave the serp a hit of PB Blaster and cured it for a minute, came back screeching like a hungry owl. Belt has perfect tension, might be a tad loose. How do I isolate which pulley is making the noise without replacing them all? Thanks.
I'm not a mechanic but maybe you could get a set of mechanic stethoscopes. I remember seeing a mechanic use one and thought friggin nice.

please let us know what happens

Quick Reply: Noisy serp belt