Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1995 Stratus 2.4l reliable cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:41 AM
batman900
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Stratus 2.4l reliable cars?

Just got this 1995 2.4l stratus from my parants, it has 91k miles on it, michelen 80k mile tires, I put a k&n air filter in it, has new belts, main motor mount, brakes and calipers. They got the car at 60k miles and change the oil every 2k miles with mobil 1 synthetic. The only isues I see at the moment is that sometimes when the car is cold the rpms will drop a little at a stop and the car will shuder but then goes back to normal. Also if I stop slowly while the car is cold the trans will shift hard into first and then doesnt do it anymore, if I drive it right I can keep it from doing this. Lastly in the summer the suspension creeks over bumps but past that hasnt been an isue.

So what do yall think ? it will be for transportation to and from work, shoping, so on. probubly no more than 10k miles a year. Im wondering though if it will be a good car in the long run and not a costly one as ive read very mixed reviews about it and consumerreports.org doesnt really seem to like it :P btw what is this transmision isue I hear these are famous for ? TY FOR ALL ADVICE!

Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
9moparornocar6
Default RE: 1995 Stratus 2.4l reliable cars?

i think you should sell me the engine

Old 10-15-2005, 10:15 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

I think these cars can be quite reliable if taken care of properly. Most importantly is to change the oil on a regular basis as it seems has been done with this car. 3000 miles is ok but if you like to do it more often you can certainly do that.

I did a bunch of research on this car before I bought it and I bought a 96 since it was the best deal I could find.

90k miles on it is pretty low for a 95, I think it will serve you well for quite a while but I will warn you, there are some things you should look out for with these cars and should be taken care of if/when they occur.

#1 is head gaskets. Although it is widely considered an epidemic of the 2.4l cars, Chrysler refused to do a recall for this issue. Some people have never had to replace it, but often, an engine may go through 2 or 3 during its lifetime. The problem seems to be inherent in the manufacturing and really cant be prevented if it will indeed happen. However, some people are lucky enough not to have this problem. Symptoms of this include leaking oil from the top of the engine, aerated coolant and other coolant problems, intermittent smoke from the tailpipe, water in the oil, oil in the coolant, and some others you can find by searching.

#2 Front End Suspension Problems. I personally have some issues with this as I have various noises coming from the steering column and wheel bearings. This could develop into other, more serious issues. It seems these parts wear out over time and start developing problems. However this isnt the most critical problem with these cars but certainly is something fairly common with them.

#3 I have the automatic 41TE transmission which is very popular with chrysler. After changing my fluid and filter on my own a few weeks back and putting in the correct type (ATF +3) the car feels very good and much better than before. It is extremely important that you use the correct fluid type or serious damage could result after just a bit of driving. As for problems, there might be solenoid problems in some models as well as a tendency to develop gasket leaks but really this is a case by case thing. I feel the most problems come with the downshifting problem "limp mode" that seems to occur with damaged trannys and require expensive repair.

There are lots of things that can go wrong with cars, not just this type. Mainly, if you take care of this car it should be kind to you.
Best way to keep your costs of ownership low are to prevent small problems from becoming big ones.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
batman900

TY PA

Old 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
nh_wayne

I have a 177,000 miles on mine and just replaced the water pump. So I am happy with engine. I have a few leaks. One is caused by me. Trans pan. Use RTV on it and it made the rubber gasket slip. Other is may be rear seal or not. Not sure. But it is small.

Timing belt was done on a recall. Check if your's has the same recall. www.partsamerca.com

I have replace struts and tires. I had the exhaust welded when some one rear ended me at a stop light and knocked it off. And of course brakes when needed.

Quick Reply: 1995 Stratus 2.4l reliable cars?