Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2003 Stratus sedan water leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
jmartin99
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Stratus sedan water leak

I just bought a 2003 Stratus SXT sedan and I discovered I have a bad water leak that is leaking on the drivers floor board! I just went out and checked the cooling system to see if it was losing coolant due to a bad heater core but the system was full and the overflow tank was also full as it was the day I bought it and the moisture on the floor smells like just water not antifreeze.

It has been raining non-stop since I bought it here so I must have a leak at the bottom of the windshield or on the firewall somewhere.

Has anyone every had a problem or seen a problem like this? Just wondering where to start to try to find the leak!

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited by jmartin99; 04-28-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added something
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
BillS
Captain

could be a clogged drain for air conditioner,comes out of firewall about center of car

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM
jmartin99
Amateur
Default Clogged A/C drain

I have read about the A/C drain causing water to end up in the car but I have always read it ends up on the passenger side floor board. If it is clogged can it possibly end up on the drivers side instead?

Thanks! I will check it out tonight.

Jeff

Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
BillS
Captain

yeah your right usually on passenger side, do you have a sunroof think there a drain that runs down drivers side frame,between window and door hose might have rotted out

Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
jmartin99
Amateur

Okay, I have looked really good under the dash and I cannot figure out where this water is coming from. I have checked the carpet and underlayment under the dash on the drivers side and it is not wet at all. I also got under the car and the drain tube for the A/C is way over on the passenger side.

I vacuumed a LOT of water out of the carpet with my shampooer tonight and I did not run the A/C or defroster(Which also usually runs the A/C) on my way home.

No, I do not have a sunroof in my car.

I am VERY frustrated right now!

Also, the power plug below the radio was missing when I got the car. I fished around in the hole and found the back of it. I removed the center console to get a little better access to it to install a new one. When I was installing it I checked to see if it had power and no power. I checked all of the fuses in the car and none were blown. Any ideas to get power back to this outlet other than running a new wire?

Thanks!!!!

Jeff

Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM
jmartin99
Amateur

I went out and looked at it some more. I noticed that the floor directly under the drivers seat was also pretty wet. Is it possible the drain is plugged up and the moisture is traveling down the vent tube that goes under the console and dumps under the seats? I need to go check and see if the floor under the passenger seat is wet.

Also is there a way under the carpet for the water to get to the front floor from under the seat? If so, I think I know where it is coming from!!

Jeff

Last edited by jmartin99; 04-28-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM
mad4mopars
Default Stratus AC leak

Jeff,

I have a 2004 Stratus SXT that I have had for 3 years and the wet floor problem started up that first summer. My first indication was the mold/mildew smell that grew unbearable. My hubby, a mechanic, found that the rear driver's side floor was sopping wet and moldy. After much investigation and tracking of when it would get wet, he decided it is a clog in the ac not as a result of rain, road spray or anything like that. He hasn't fixed it yet, but will have to this summer before I need to use it. We tore up the carpet and cleaned and disinfected it and haven't had a problem since Fall (no ac on).

I would bet it is your ac line clogged. We had a similar problem in his 2002 Dakota, right after the warranty expired, and he finally discovered that the brake light over the rear window was not sealed at the factory and was leaking down under the jump seat and onto the rear passenger floor, another mold/mildew mess that had to be cleaned up. FYI, we got replacement backing for both at the local carpet store (underlayment). Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
gliderman8
Exclamation Water under passenger seat

I have a 2005 Stratus and the area under and behind the passenger seat is like a lake!
I am thinking it is coming from the AC drain being clogged but it is only my best guess.... HELP!
Where do I look for the drain tube?
I do not have a sunroof by the way. Any assistance with this problem would be appreciated, Thanks!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:19 PM
BillS
Captain

if its the same as a 2004 its on the passenger side,you'll have to raise car(ramps or jack and jack stand) on passenger side high enough to get under the crossmember the hose is directly behind and above that about a foot away from tire. i hooked a plastic tube(think it was 3/8 of an inch) to the end of a garden hose that the end had broke off of with tape, slid tube up hose and flushed with water for a couple minutes off and on letting water drain out did mine two years ago still working.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 PM
gliderman8
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by BillS
if its the same as a 2004 its on the passenger side,you'll have to raise car(ramps or jack and jack stand) on passenger side high enough to get under the crossmember the hose is directly behind and above that about a foot away from tire. i hooked a plastic tube(think it was 3/8 of an inch) to the end of a garden hose that the end had broke off of with tape, slid tube up hose and flushed with water for a couple minutes off and on letting water drain out did mine two years ago still working.
Thanks for the info BillS. I will get it up on jack stands or a ramp and have a look. It's amazing just how much water is under the passenger seat. Will let you know how it goes... thanks again!

Quick Reply: 2003 Stratus sedan water leak