Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Under the Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 01:04 PM
Bannacheck
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under the Hood

I just purchased a used 2001 Dodge Stratus r/t with 99,000 miles, it’s a V6, 3.0 L. The first thing that occurred was the car died as soon as I got home. I ended up replacing the battery and it starts just fine. The check engine light came on with a code P0204. After getting a fuel system cleaning at jiffy lube the light went off and is running better. The code called for an EGR replacement, maybe it’s still worth doing? Now there is a whistling noise which comes on after speeds of 30 mph but not all the time. When I open the window the sound doesn’t seem to be coming from outside, but inside underneath the radio maybe? . I’m probably the most naive person in the world. Here is what it looks like under the hood, can anyone spot issues I should be aware of from this photo? I can maybe afford 300 each month in repairs, where should I start? I’m thinking belts, spark plugs, brakes, and hoses? Also could the problem stem from it not driving regularly? 100K miles in 20 years breaks down to being driven only 5K miles a year. I just want it to be reliable for the next few years.

Last edited by Bannacheck; 09-05-2022 at 01:19 PM. Reason: More detail
Old 09-05-2022, 01:27 PM
Bannacheck
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’d like to add that the hose above the yellow line is cracked on the bottom and it houses wiring. What is the part called and can it be replaced?

Old 09-06-2022, 09:50 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The piece highlighted in yellow is part of the wiring harness and cant be bought by itself if I recall correctly.

If you dont know timing belt replacement history, thats the first thing i would get done. Another weak point in the transmission is a wave spring that can break an block fluid ports. They changed the design in the 03-05 models. When looking for parts, I always say I have an Eclipse. Same exact car mechanically.

Under the hood looks really clean and well taken care of. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Under the Hood