Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1. Can the 2.7 handle turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1. Can the 2.7 handle turbo?

Been Looking for more power as everyone prolly knows. So the question now is:
Can the 2.7 hold up to a small single turbo setup?
(something like 8lbs of boost max)

Has anyone done it?

What kind of power can be pulled like this?

Someones gotta know, little help.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 AM
circumventor
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heck ya i wanna see yall put that together. we all learn more from failures than from success. just do it and if she blows yall learned something

Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Great theory all except it gonna be a garage build. If it blows I'm screwed w/o a car. Hence why i wanna know if it can take it first. I'm only looking at like 6-8psi.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

any help?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

do you really think that a 2.7 could handle any more power than it already makes. Soo many don't even make it around the block with a grandma driving. Put your money into a race car if you want something with power, save this car for just good reliable transportation. You can't have something that makes tons of power and expect daily reliability.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Here is something to think about. If NO aftermarket company is willing to make a kit, it may not mean there is "no market" for it. It may mean that the kit would be too risky to make. I don't personally know anything about the 2.7l, but many say it's a fickle engine.
I have an '03 Town & Country with a 3.8l that pumps out some good power. The 3.3l is the same engine block with a smaller bore, and has been noted to be even more reliable. Dodge/Chrysler attempted to use forced induction on this engine for possible application in police cruisers. Even with minimal boost (~2-4psi), it would blow the block apart quickly, every time. No boost, it would last years and well over 100,000mi. A kit will only be made if the risk is minimal.
A friend of mine has been building a fully custom Acura Integra. Engine and transmission built from the ground up for racing (+400whp). The builder estimated that if used only as a daily driver, that it would require internal repair between 15,000-20,000mi.

Great theory all except it gonna be a garage build. If it blows I'm screwed w/o a car.
I would say get a daily driver, and build the strat, or daily drive the strat, and get a car you can build on. It is quite foolish to risk your only ride for a little more power.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
circumventor
Banned

the 3.3s gotta shorter stroke not boar

Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

There's no market cause no one has the ***** to try it. The 2.7 is viable to work on.
200hp 200lb/ft stock.
Buying a race car solves nothing? If I wanted to tune something else I wouldn't be askin.
I know it'll require opening up the oil ports that are the 2.7s problem child. As far as I've found thats the only problem they have. So with that solved it should handle it.
Plus Crower will regrind my camshafts to better suit the turbo power.
So thanks for the help those who put word in.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ratsttam
A friend of mine has been building a fully custom Acura Integra. Engine and transmission built from the ground up for racing (+400whp). The builder estimated that if used only as a daily driver, that it would require internal repair between 15,000-20,000mi.

I would say get a daily driver, and build the strat, or daily drive the strat, and get a car you can build on. It is quite foolish to risk your only ride for a little more power.
See thats the thing. Everyone builds Honda, its annoying. If I wanted to be like everyone else that'd be great. But WTF is the point then. Really why do something already done?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by smokesxt
See thats the thing. Everyone builds Honda, its annoying. If I wanted to be like everyone else that'd be great. But WTF is the point then. Really why do something already done?
I only mentioned that because of an engine designed and tested for a turbo, and having it's lifespan dramatically cut down by boosting it. For what it's worth, the car looked like crap for the longest time, but was fast as hell. The goal was track timeslips, not style or originality.
You are obviously afraid of blowing up your only vehicle, and that's quite understandable! I would love to see someone successfully boost a strat 2.7. Maybe YOU are the one to do it. Do something that has not been done
Would it be out of line to suggest again that you pick up a "daily driver" first, so that if something does go wrong, you are still able to get around until the strat is driveable again?

Quick Reply: 1. Can the 2.7 handle turbo?