General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

slant 6-stalls when warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Big Pip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slant 6-stalls when warm

Slant 6 in a 82 diplomat will run on its own when warm but chokes and stalls when warm. Any ideas how to fix?

Old 03-04-2007, 03:52 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: slant 6-stalls when warm

Your post is unclear about the temperature where this happens but some slant six engines were bad about vapor locking.This can be remedied by insulating the fuel line going into the fuel pump and carburetor.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Big Pip

The car will only run good for about 5 min before this happens. We had to take take the thermostate out and add a fan that came straight off the water pump, no cluth. I noticed that the temp. was 1/4 the way between C (cold) and H (hot), on the cold side of course. I stuck it in drive, got about 50 feet and the car wanted to die. I threw it in neutral and from that point on any slight gas would choke the car. We have the idel set at about 2500 RPM also. I hope this is enough information to help. Thank you for any help.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Big Pip

I found out little more information... We actually took the choke off the car-butterfly and all and we reran the fuel line to a boat tank in the back seat and not using the return line. Any chance its the return line not being connected to anything screwing us up? I also know that we capped some vacume lines off the carb but hoping that the vac. advance is still connected. If you haven't noticed yet this is not a car that will ever drive on the streets again.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Big Pip

I think I have figured it out, let me know what you think...

One of the last mods we did to this car was mount the coil on the intake manifold, kinda like what you see on fords. We needed to move everything off the fender wells and I thought that would be a good spot. Today while running the car it started to do the same thing, puzzled I searched everything, followed vac lines, got rid of the smog and bypassed the egr line with the line going to the cat, changed fuel lines and filter, reved it high and dumpped water down car....for the 4th time, but nothing. Then.... I looked at the coil and thought about how hot is getting sitting right over the exhaust and decided to move it back to fender well. Of course it was hot as a son of a be-otch and had to work quick. But after I got it moved off the moter the car ran completely different.

Is it possible the coil was getting to hot and not working properly?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Big Pip

Man, you guys aren't very helpful. I know in the other forums there is an answer almost instantly from a friendly helper, here its like you have to break someones arm! Is it because it is an old piece of $h)t Diplomat?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:31 PM
rebelderf

It has been about that many years since I worked on a slant six, and since your car is running better? now that you've moved the coil away from all that heat, it sounds like you have found your problem.

Quick Reply: slant 6-stalls when warm