General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Drum Removal

Old 06-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Trippen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Drum Removal

After over 2 years of driving my 97 4X4 1500sport (just over 70K) bought it with 45k I think. Any How. I was doing my brakes was noticing that I slowing down with my boat was getting a little hard. I did my pads no problem got to my drums(Rear) and seems that there is 1: no adjustment for them on the back of the axle and
2. (I know laugh all you want.) I cant get the drums off. And no the emergency brake was not on...First thing I checked. Done that a couple of times.
Anyone else ever had this problem? Or Know of a really good way to get them off..Tried my Gear puller but not big enough me or the gear puller..and a ballping and lots off WD40 and Liquid Wrench around the center hub.

Thanks for the help in advance

Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 AM
HemiMan02
Professional
Default RE: Rear Drum Removal

1: there is an adjustment..if you look on the back of the backing plate you will see 2 little ovals near the bottom. you have to knock one of the ovals out to get to the adjuster....dont remember which one.
2: beat them with a big hammer around the hub.....dont hit the studs or just hit in one spot though. then when you go to put them back on clean up the rust and put a coat of anti sieze on the hub.....no more rust. enjoy

Old 06-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Trippen
Professional

Thanks-
I have seen the punch outs....Was hopin to get the drumoff first before going that route. To see which one to punch out.

Anyone seen different drums with a bigger hub hole?

Old 06-26-2005, 09:42 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

When I have that problem I use a propane torch to heat the drum in the area of the bolt circle of the wheel studs. Some times it will pop loose by itself. If not I use a brass or dead blow hammer. Usually doesn't take much hammering.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Trippen
Professional

Well I was finally back in town long enough to do my brakes. took 2 cans of this rust breaker and a 5lb sledge...I tried the torch thing..but with the days being over 100 deg and doing after my 35 mile drive back from my office they were plenty hot. I found that I had allot of pad left on both of them so i just adjusted them...Good stoping power now..... The only thing that concerns me is that one of the pistons for the shoes was a little wet with brake fluid. I dont think i have a leak i seem to have good brake pressure. Anyone ever changed the actuators on drum brakes? Any suggestions before i tackle this one?

Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM
pembroke dude
Professional

It dosent hurt to change the wheel cyls if they are a bit damp. You should also check the u have a bit of preasure at the bleeder screw after the brakes have been aplied then releaced (with the drums on of course) this preasure is called residual preasure and it keeps a bit of preasure in the drum brake system to help keep the cups/seals inside the wheel cyl against the bore wall to prevent leaks.

It also dosen't hurt to have a brake flush done to remove moisture and debrise from the system. That is some good preventive maintenance.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Trippen
Professional

Thanks for the advice..I did have pressure at the bleeders it was the first thing I checked after seeing that. I hadent thought about a flush and fill for the brakes. Humm Ill do that after I change that cyl that was wet. Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Drum Removal