Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Pretty excited

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Pretty excited

I just bought my first Jeep! Odd thing though, it's an 89 Cherokee, but the ownership says AMC. I thought Chrysler took over Jeep in 87.

Anyway, she's an 89 Cherokee, I think sport or limited I forget, I've seen it only once lol. Straight 6, automatic, 4x4 ofcourse(no point in buying a Jeep without 4x4). Little bit of body rust, but luckily someone had the good sense to undercoat it many years ago, so the underbelly is pristine. It's fully loaded for it's time, and even has a matching spare(thank science, no more donuts). Hopefully someday a mild lift and some 31"s will be in it's future.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

SWEET!!! I've never owned one ( a Full Size J-10 pickup, CJ-7, '94 Wrangler, and four Grand Cherokees, all but one a 4x4) but the classic 4x4 Cherokee is still a favorite of mine. I still think they need to ditch the Liberty, Patriot and Compass and bring back a version of the beloved Cherokee, rear wheel drive and 4wd with solid front axle.
Many of my friends had them, both lifted and stock. You'll love it, 'Frag, and you can't beat that 4.0 I6. Lousy HP for it's size, terrible gas mileage, but they last forever with even marginal care and are about the easiest engine to work on.
A little lift, some aggressive meats, a brush guard and small (8k pound) winch and your set for life, buddy.
Good Luck with it...

I'm gonna move this to the Jeep section, maybe 'tween us, we can breath some life into it. I'd love to see that section take off. I hate that I gotta go to another forum for good Jeep info...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Nofrag
Champion

is jeepforum.com an ib forum?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

Nice buy. A friend of mine who I used to go wheeling with had one of them with a 4" lift and 33x12.5" tires. That thing went through everything. Sadly he sold it for a 3000gt vr4. Well anyway, good luck with it and happy wheeling

and a last few things, heres your new bible:
www.quadratec.com

and this could be a fun little project:
http://www.jeepnuts.com/tech/stroker.htm

Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Nofrag
Champion

btw, none of my friends believe me, but I only paid $250 for it lol The guy wasn't hurting for cash(convertible jag, 2 nice bass boats and a dakota in the driveway), he was just doing spring cleaning and wanted it out of his driveway

Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 AM
kev2
Veteran

full size spare is often a posi diff?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Nofrag
Champion

I'm gonna get under it today, I'm hoping to find better than d30's under there

Old 05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Pretty sure it's gonna have a high pinion D30 in the front (good axle) and a non C clip Dana 35 in the rear (better than a c clip version but still not a very good unit.)

Judging from the tow hooks on the front, it may have come with the tow package. If it came with the tow package, there is a chance it could have a D44 in the rear. HPD30 in the front and D44 in the rear is a great combo for a mild wheeling rig.

You also might want to do a few engine mods to it. 89 used the Renix style intake and throttle body, you can upgrade to an intake and TB from a WJ (99-04 Grand Cherokee.)

Pretty sure the HO version was introduced in 1992 for the XJ's and was optional, and standard in 93 for the ZJ's. You can get a cam from a 93-96 grand (some changes in 97) to up your power output a hair. IMHO if you were to do that, I would just get a custom ground cam from Comp Cams.

A good free flowing exhaust and intake can go a long way too. Depending on the cam, you could def. expect to see around 50hp by doing these mods. Should help that XJ get up and go

Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Oh yeah, JF isn't internet brands. It's not my favorite forum, you will begin to realize how ignorant most Jeep owners actually are. However there's quite a bit of good info there. Hammer, neoncrazy101, and myself are there.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Nofrag
Champion

Yeah I registered there. Thanks for the info Jr. It has a hitch and harness so I'll guess that it has the tow package, they look pretty factory. But I still haven't got around to putting it up so I can check everything out under there.

Quick Reply: Pretty excited