Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

2002 Jeep Liberty 45Rfe UD pressure switch sense circuit present

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Ovid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Jeep Liberty 45Rfe UD pressure switch sense circuit present

First id like to say Ive been a trans tech since 95 at the Dodge dealer and well experienced in 41te, 42le, 604's, 46 Re,Rh 44Re/Rh with rebuilds in the 100's. I left the dealer in 99 and have no knowledge of the 45Rfe's.
Now for the 45Rfe Trans problem.
Ok, here's what im working on, 2002 Jeep liberty transmission shifts fine reverse, 1,2,3
When goes into forth gear you can tell a clutch pack is not releasing as the car bogs down a bit then goes into limp in rather quickly. If you drive with over drive off, it drives fine all day long, no codes. You let it go into O/d and it bogs and goes immediately into limp in.

I have no experience with the 45Rfe's so with that said here's test's and codes as of today.
Ive checked the fluid level and it is correct at Op temp, it looks pretty red, no parts or debris in the trans pan at all as I personally inspected it by removing trans pan. It does have a ting burn smell, but definitely not toasted by any means.
I have a code: UD pressure switch sense circuit present, as I watch the DRB screen, I see that the under drive switch state remains closed as it should be open in forth gear as per my manual says, while driving down the road, which is why the limp in condition.
I have run through the possible causes list and replaced the solenoid pack witch contains the pressure switch and this did not fix the problem.
Has anyone seen such a problem and what was the fix. Im thinking a TCM and another Trans Tech is thinking internal trans problem. A diagnostics with the mopar break out box had been performed and passed the wiring test.

If anyone here has Hands on experience with the 45Rfe's Id like to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited by Ovid; 03-03-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

You could have a broken hub with shaft, valve body, or broken plate on the side of the valve body. Have you check the CVI's and perform a clutch test?

Quick Reply: 2002 Jeep Liberty 45Rfe UD pressure switch sense circuit present