Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Serious oil leak issue - 2014 3.6L/3.2L Pentastar

Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Bronco54501
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 dodge grand caravan

Took it in for the 100,000 mile checkup/tune up. I was about 5,000 miles over but mechanic noticed pooling of oil and running down trans.. When he called he had said the plastic housing was cracked.. He was the only one that has changed the oil since we owned it so I was skeptical. But as it turned out it wasn't cracked at all and it turns out the O-rings were leaking...

Old 01-05-2017, 10:26 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

more reason NOT to buy that new of a vehicle.... I have a 92 Dakota a 97 Wrangler an 01 Durango and may soon have a 96 Dakota 4X4.
I catch them up on lapsed maintenance, and drive the **** out of them while keeping up on maintenance from the minute I hand over the cash.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:42 PM
traceylacey
Default 2014 oil leak

Thankfully the oil angels were looking after me!

Here's the conclusion in case you don't feel like reading the story.

2014 jeep cherokee trailhawk

ENGINE OIL COOLER ADAPTER! COVERED UNDER WARRANTY (my 36 mos/3 year warranty expired a year ago so I'm guessing it's under the powertrain? warranty)

Noticed some oil in my garage and now thinking back, I'd occasionally see white smoke from "the car in front of me" (my hood).

Stopped by the nearest gas station because it was the third time "the car in front of me" was producing white smoke.

Had no oil, the guy filled it for me and was nice enough to put it on the lift. Said it was my transmission fluid leaking NOT my oil, because under the transmission was covered in fluid.

So, me, knowing nothing about cars figured I'd get it checked out in the next two because i felt safe that he just put oil in.

Fast forward to ten days later (today), saw the white smoke again, but this time there was no car in sight, so only out of instinct and fear (and knew it was MY CAR producing faint white smoke) took to the closest mechanic in sight.

He spent 2 1/2 hrs cleaning everything so he could find the leak. Turns out, it was NOT THE TRANSMISSION FLUID, BUT THE OIL! Said he still couldnt find the exact source of the leak and he'd have to remove the manifold intake??? (something like that) to search everywhere and then told me I should take it to the dealer and complain because he didn't think I should be having that problem.

It was also out of oil, again, he put oil in and told me to only go to the dealer and don't drive anywhere else. I went to pay, even though he hadn't found the leak but worked his *** off looking, and he only charged me TEN DOLLARS!

Anyone living in Los Angeles that needs an honest mechanic... He's the one. Looked on yelp later and he has over 100 reviews, five star!

Anyway, long story short, I really don't know if that particular dealer was getting complaints and/or the same issue from other customers who had done their previous oil change there or it really is a OC ADAPTER flaw.

So THAT'S getting covered but of course they're recommending a pvc valve replacement at $235 ($105 + labor) and said he'd do an oil change for $39, so it's just under $300 for all of that.

I have no idea if they're just trying to get business because the other work it's under warranty. My husband knows nothing and said just do it there.

Who knows?

Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 AM
1Jeepers
Default Serious oil leak issue - 2014 3.6L/3.2L Pentastar

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 25K miles, developed instant oil leak. Dealer said it was a cracked oil filter plenum. Jeep still at dealer, 2 weeks and counting. Part "back ordered". None anywhere. Plastic part - another engineering failure. Had this happened on the interstate, in would have been SERIOUS BAD NEWS. Is Jeep going to make a metal replacement part? More failures is not an option.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Mitch Payson
Default promaster 2014 tappet going now

hi
same problem! went to lube shop for quick oil change. guy comes running over .. oil is pouring out he says. tells me it's on recall hurry to the dealership while you still have oil in it.dealer 4 blocks away tells me just worn out. no recall or service bulletin. how ever Chrysler Canada is back ordered 5000 units and has no idea when the #$$÷$ part will be available.. Took a couple of days phoning every place I could think of and found One!!! I'm a courier so down time is everything.. I'm gonna check to see if this is the new part.. now my head is clicking away like a deisel. wish I had a sprinter..... the head in the USA has extended 150,000 miles.. Canadians get +×÷=%% squat. what the heck do I do now!!!!

Old 06-12-2017, 05:58 PM
MD Ram
Default 3.6 PENSTAR Oil Leak

Had same problem w/ oil leak on my 2014 RAM 1500 w/ 3.6 has 58,000 mikes
1st dealer stated oil filter was leaking (not) so they tightened.
Still leaked took it back they replaced:
- Connector Adptor housing also known as oil filter housing (PN 68105583AF)
- Intake plenum gasket (PN 5184562 AC)
- Intake manifold gasket (PN 5184331AC)

All covered under power train warrantee

Old 12-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Roy007

I just went through the same situation. My 2014 Durango with 23644 miles had a massive oil leak, Took my truck to Chrysler (My first mistake) and the Service advisor told me that someone "over torque the oil filter cap" and cracked it,(Their standard excuse) therefore its not covered under warranty. They demanded +$350 for full diagnostic or +$835 to replace the "oil filter housing assembly" I Contacted Dodge directly but they sided with the Dealer and refuse to honor the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty and washed their hand from all responsibilities! I tried to explain to the Dodge warranty department that lots of their customers are experiencing same issue of oil leak caused by poorly designed plastic part that is mounted on a hot engine. (what else can go wrong?)

After many hours of talks between dodge and the the dealer, I realized I'm just wasting my time and took the bullet and paid for the repair, and have the Chrysler repair my truck. After driving the truck 50 miles, I noticed the "engine oil" leaking again. I called "Chrysler" and they told me they can't look at my car for next two days cause they are very busy. .........To be continued.......

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-14-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: bashing
Old 01-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Rkingery
Default Oil leak

I recently took my 14 Jeep Wrangler to dealership because of oil leak. They told me the engine oil cooler is cracked near the base due to the filter cap was overtorqued. I asked if it was covered under warranty. The assistant service manager told me it was not inside the engine therefor it’s not covered. I was puzzled. He stated it is a bolt on part why would it be covered. I told him I don’t understand. The total bill I had to pay was 729.00. I looked up jeeps customer service and filed a claim. Still waiting to hear back. I then went home and made a plate to install the oil cooler on and pressure tested the suppose “ cracked “ cooler. I put 60psi in cooler and placed in bucket of water. Cooler has no leakes and holds 60 psi for at least 1 hour. I will be revisiting the dealer with my findings. In my opinion the o rings on the bottom of the cooler are getting hard due to heat and are seeping oil.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM
hichamaziz
Amateur

perhaps you have problem with oil category

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by hichamaziz
perhaps you have problem with oil category