Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Looking at a Used Jeep

Old 04-08-2004, 01:43 AM
alim240
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a Used Jeep

Hello-
I am looking at possibly purchasing the following:

1998 Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO
Bronze, 96,230 Miles
5.2 liter 8 Cyl. Multi-Pt Fuel Injection Automatic
VIN # 1J4GZ48Y1WC165160, Stock # 1572
For $8,995

It has power everything, leather, sun roof, ect. loaded

It appears to run and drive good, but I am concerned with the high mileage. Although it does sound like the mileage was mostly highway miles. My other concern is that my wife would be putting on about 250 highway miles a week. So what do others think about this deal? Are there things I should be looking for?

Thanks for your assistance
-Adam

Old 04-08-2004, 07:05 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Looking at a Used Jeep

I'd be asking for a service record on the vehicle, at least receipts/records of the oil changes, etc.. Also ask if you can take it to YOUR mechanic of choice to have it checked. If the seller says no, walk, no, RUN away!!

Old 04-17-2004, 10:42 PM
jeepraiderjoe

that price is a little high for a 5.2, also be aware that the v8 model grand cherokee zj ( 93-98 has a factory designation of zj) comes with a aluminum version of the dana 44 axle in the rear. its not a weak axle but it has its weak points such as no locker available, and because the housing is aluminum and the tubes are steel they have different expansion rates and are known to eat bearings. also that rig should have " quadra trac" which has a very expensive viscous coupler in the transfer case ( about 900.00 for the part) to check it take it to a parking lot after a little bit of driving and do some figure eight type turns if it feels like it wants to bind up on you ( like driving in 4lo on pavement) the coupler is bad and you should return it to the seller with a polite no thank you hope that helps

joe

Old 04-21-2004, 03:19 PM
alim240

ORIGINAL: jeepraiderjoe
....also that rig should have " quadra trac" which has a very expensive viscous coupler in the transfer case ( about 900.00 for the part) to check it take it to a parking lot after a little bit of driving and do some figure eight type turns if it feels like it wants to bind up on you ( like driving in 4lo on pavement) the coupler is bad....
Well we decided not to get the 98 jeep. Instead we found a Silver 2000 limited 4.7 with 47,000 miles on it. The cost was a bit more but I feel better with having lower mileage. My concern now is what you said above about doing figure 8's and having it feel like it is running in 4 Lo on pavement. It does appear to be doing that when turning corners...... Does it sound like the coupler is bad on my 2000? Fortunately we bought an extended warranty and this should be coved, which is also why I went with a lower mileage Jeep. Here is the VIN in case there are other things that I should be looking for. 1J4GW58N4YC257144

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:14 AM
jeepraiderjoe

your 2000 grand cherokee is a whole other beast it has a designation of WJ instead of zj it does still however have the aluminum version of the dana 44 in the rear. the good news is in 99 D/C got away from the viscous coupler and went with a more reliable gerorotor design but it stll should not be binding up around corners like that so definately get it looked at. you can also fond alot of information here look around register then use the search function less you incur the wrath of the search *****

joe

Old 04-27-2004, 06:49 PM
SSpiro

Yes, definitely SEARCH on that site before posting...

You could also research at this site as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a Used Jeep