Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Crankshaft ring tone RPM limited

Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Rude$Dog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft ring tone RPM limited

I have a 2000 WJ 4.7. The engine will not rev over 4000 RPM without starting to shut down. I have put 12000 miles on it since I acquired it and it has always been like this. I have had everything checked or replaced on it, and I do mean everything, and finally a shop found the crankshaft sensor is going irradic at 4000 RPM. I had a code on the original sensor and replaced it with an aftermarket sensor. No more code but still won’t go over 4000 RPM. The shop tells me the crankshaft tone ring is loose, however i would think that if it were loose the bolts would already have come out. I read that sometimes they crack or loose a tooth. Has anyone experienced anything similar. I don’t want to pull the motor unless I absolutely have too.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Think I would try a genuine mopar crank position sensor first........ Granted, they are not precisely inexpensive, but, cheaper than yanking the motor. Dodge vehicles are notorious for not really liking aftermarket sensors in critical locations. Crank sensor is right at the top of that list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crankshaft ring tone RPM limited