K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant K...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Purr-plexed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant K...HELP!

Help...I have a 1988 Reliant K that starts but stalls--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a half hour or more--while idling and driving. I know absolutely nothing about cars, but when I checked under the hood I noticed this connection was loose. There are two small prongs enclosed in a yellow cap that look like they connect to the cap being held. It's near the front of the car on the driver's side, below and northwest of battery (if I'm facing the front of the car). Does anyone know what this connection is/does?? I can't seem to reconnect it. I believe that's my transmission fluid dip stick in the pic in front of it, but I could be very wrong (the fluid in it is reddish). Can anyone help? I'm not sure if this is even related to the stalling, but it could be. Thanks guys/gals... Jill

Attached Thumbnails I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant K...HELP!-1988plymouthreliantkquestion.jpg   I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant K...HELP!-1988plymouthreliantkquestionpic2.jpg  

Last edited by Purr-plexed; 10-08-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Hi Jill, have you tried turning the plug around from your pics it looks like it can only go on one way, it appears to have a flat side and a round side. That does appear to be related to the tranny, as for your stalling when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? What level is the fuel at? Does it stall no matter how much gas in the tank, or does it only stall when the tank reaches a certain level.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

According to my Chilton manual, that is the lock-up solenoid electrical connector. So that should not cause what you are describing. Clean the butterfly at the intake. If there is gunk built up on it will disturb the airflow causing exactly what is happening. Spray the heck out of it with carb and choke cleaner and then use a shop rag to wipe it out.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:18 PM
COBOL

Originally Posted by Purr-plexed
Help...I have a 1988 Reliant K that starts but stalls--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a half hour or more--while idling and driving. I know absolutely nothing about cars, but when I checked under the hood I noticed this connection was loose. There are two small prongs enclosed in a yellow cap that look like they connect to the cap being held. It's near the front of the car on the driver's side, below and northwest of battery (if I'm facing the front of the car). Does anyone know what this connection is/does?? I can't seem to reconnect it. I believe that's my transmission fluid dip stick in the pic in front of it, but I could be very wrong (the fluid in it is reddish). Can anyone help? I'm not sure if this is even related to the stalling, but it could be. Thanks guys/gals... Jill
the problem could be the fuel injection part of the car it was in my car.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:20 PM
COBOL

the problem could be the single fuel injection part .it was in mine have Aa mechanic you ttrust look at it.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Thread is from 5 years ago. This person is no longer an active member.

Quick Reply: I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant K...HELP!