K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

90 Spirit speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 AM
snakeonee1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Spirit speedometer problem

</P>

Hi...Hope you folks can help. Just gave a car to my daughter ( new driver ). She really wants to know how fast she is going. Speedo just works then it doesn't. Must be others out there that have had this problem.</P>

snk@ntl.sympatico.ca</P>

Old 11-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.... Speedometer sensor maybe... The odd thing, in the 90 Spirit,the sensorcame in two versions, with a cable and with a wire. And it's something you just have to see to know which you need.Now, I'm notpositive this is the issue, but it would be a smart place to start, assuming you've jiggled the wires and made sure the connections were tight. The part runs from $50 (sensor with wire)- $65 (sensor with cable). If you take it to the dealership, one of the parts guys should be able to come out and tell you which one you need if you can't find it yourself.

I'mthinking the Speedo Sensor is on the verge of kaput... What does everyone else think?

Hope I helped!! Keep me (us) up to date on what happens with it!!

~Amanda</P>

Old 11-13-2003, 02:36 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem on my '88 Daytona Shelby Z, but I never bothered to get it fixed. I did get the speedo gear changed but it didn't help. I would say Dodgegirl19 is right and you need to replace the sensor/wire or sensor/cable set up.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:42 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By 90 I thought Chrysler had gone from cable to electrical but it may have been just a electircal switch on the manual cars. In any case, I'd say its the speed sensor or the square fitting for the cable (if so equipped) may be stripped. Its only made out of natural colored nylon.</P>

Quick Reply: 90 Spirit speedometer problem