DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Neon SRT-4 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/neon-srt-4-24/)
-   -   Boosting @ 18 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/neon-srt-4/191189-boosting-18-a.html)

srt4rez 02-25-2009 02:24 PM

Boosting @ 18

Total stock and boosting at 18 in 4th gear! I was really surprise, cuz it was cutting out on me last time. Haven't changed the PCM, still stock on that, except I'm running a kinetic wastegate instead of the stock. I did switch out the spark plugs with new ones, the old ones were sort of shot. Thats probably why I wasn't getting the full power the other times. Check engine came on but it's only the over boost that's sensing it. I can really feel the power. Wonder how high I can boost until the PCM cuts me off? Actually I'm boosting @ 19! No cut offs for now!

mxrnick 02-25-2009 04:48 PM

18 is max what kind of plugs did you get? ive got denso iridiums and i for sure noticed a difference. i also have a wastegate best "cheap" mod you can do get plug wires to they always help the stock ones fry quick mainly 4th cylinder.

srt4rez 02-25-2009 05:39 PM

I can't remember what brand I used on the spark plugs. You mention a "cheap" mod for the wastegate..fill me in on that. Also what exaust are you running on yours? Mines still stock,but I have a K\N CAI. You think a high performance coil will give more power? Using autolite platinums...just remembered.

PSI Chick 02-26-2009 08:38 AM

and you think this is a good thing? have fun rebuilding your motor soon.....

srt4rez 02-26-2009 09:44 AM

What do you mean? Nobody wants to be rebuilding their engine so soon. I hardly race or redline on mines. Reply on this issue would be nice. From the pixs you have, you have a awesome ride...good job!!

PSI Chick 02-27-2009 10:56 AM

you're running 18psi because you changed the wga and it's not adjusted properly. you don't mention anything about a wideband, and have stated that you have no fuel upgrades, and i can pretty much guarantee you're running VERY lean. lean = blown engine. so like i said, have fun rebuilding your motor. or turn your boost down to 15psi and keep it.

mxrnick 02-27-2009 04:02 PM

i dont know about the 15psi being max ived head anywhere from 15 to 17 (like im running) or 18 if dont get on it very often and it never cuts out on you from over boosting in any gear. ive heard people say theyre stock srts have gone up that high so who knows if some srt4s are better than others or they were wrong, lieing, bad boost gauge, whatever. boost will always be debated it always has. i wasnt saying there was a mod for the wastegate just that getting an aftermarket one is the best "cheap" mod you can get cause the stock wastegate sucks. aftermarket coils are all crapive heard the best on is the stock one i do know that mopar or someone ralated biult a fully drag srt-4 with over a 1000 hp and it was running the stock coil cause none of the other ones could handle it. i would tell you to get motor mounts or just inserts (i have just inserts) and they work great. no more wheel hop just spins the tires. i still have the stock exhuast too it will work fine untill you go for the big turbo set up if that is in your plans for the future they are in mine, unless you want the sound then go with an ehaust now just make sure you do it right and go full turbo back downpipe, cat, muffler/resonator, tip/s. im not too sure on those plugs but i think autolite are crap but i dunno and would have to ask for other peoples opinions on this. i do know that the denso iridiums i put in my car are great and ive heard of a lot of people using them i would for sure tell you to get some unless someone else knows of something better
peace

srt4rez 02-27-2009 05:45 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm running 19 on my boost when I accelerate..if thats gonna hurt me in the long run as mention by PSI Chick, then I will turn down my boost and probably set it at 16 or 17 lbs. Won't be changing out the coil, I'll keep it stock. I never knew about that, my wastgate is set very low..low enough to be on the safe side. I'll try the same plugs you mentioned too. So what needs to be done to run at 19 or 20 lbs of boost? I'm still stock.

PSI Chick 03-01-2009 11:56 AM

you need to upgrade the fuel. the stock system CANNOT handle 18psi. i don't care what you're friends brothers dog's best friend's owner read on a forum somewhere. i've seen it time and time again, relitively stock srt's running 17 or 18psi and throw them on a dyno and watch the nice 11:1 a/f's. there simply is not enough fuel.

a return line would be a good place to start, it will allow you to run higher boost because it allows for more fuel flow. a pump is a good idea too. eventually injectors if you plan on running a larger turbo. some sort of fuel control to tune is needed, dtec if you can find one, neo, whatever.

srt4rez 03-02-2009 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've turned down the wastegate and if I do redline, it's only 17 lbs now. But I hardly do that..I want to stay around 275 to 290 HP. Thats after I decide on stage 1 or 2. I would like to go to stage 1..soon, and thats as far I will go with upgrade mods. I won't be drag racing it or anything like that. I should be getting my mopar bov conversion kit this week too. Thought I add that to my mods, just for the sounds of it. Talked to another srt owner over the weekend and he told me not to worry about over boosting....that it won't hurt anything. He was telling me that he ran his around 20 lbs and nothing ever happened. But I'm gonna go with your word, it makes more sense and to be on the safe side. Thank you!