Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Upgrading to the SRT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 AM
HEAVYARMS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to the SRT4

Hey guys im a new Neon Owner. i have never owned a 4 banger before but so far im liking it. I have a 05 Dodge Neon SXT with a 5 speed manual. . and i want to upgrade it to the Srt4. so i just need some help to get pointed in the right direction. feel free to email me. i want to build it up to be fast i wanna get around 400 to 600 HP i need to upgrade the axles. im used to driving with around 500 hp but i needed to get something thats a bit more gas effiecent. but i wanna get this thing hooked up. so please help me out. do they make a create with this motor drop in and play? or am i going to have to put it together myself. or something in between.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
70x7
Veteran

By the time you buy the motor, tranny, ECU, etc you might as well have just found a used SRT.
Not trying to discourage that route, but thats alot of work. Why not just upgrade what you got and turbo it? Im not sure on the strengths/weeknesses of that motor/tranny but I know there have been fast neons way before the SRT came along

Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 PM
mxrnick
Veteran

i agree you could find a used srt for pretty cheap. i know you can get srt-4 motors from like ebay. that might be your best bet. if you have the money and time take it to a shop and have them build the motor for you and turbo it with a 50 trim or something. if you are looking for more than 400 hp then you might as well start with a neon and biuld it up since you would still have to do a fair amount of work to an srt to make those kind of numbers. the only thing i see here is the base neon will not handle as well as the srt-4 with out a lot of work. they was a lot of suspension work that went into the srt-4. try test driving a stock srt-4 or close to it and see if its fast enough as is cause thats what i think you will find out. they are plenty fast stock.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
srt4rez
Professional

In your case, I would get a SRT-4, and build it from there to satisfy your power. You will have to pay alot to change from SXT to SRT standards. It is possible, but alot of time and money! Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM
HEAVYARMS

I looked at used srt4 neons used i could not find one cheaper then 11,000 so i bought this sxt for 4,500. ok so i found the motor on ebay. with turbo and i can use my own starter for 2,500. so were can i find the rest of these parts to make it work im going to need upgraded axels, the computer part is my main concern. dual exhaust,then ill upgrade it more after that is up and running. so were can i find these parts to make it work??. I will not fork out 11,000 grand buying a used Neon SRT4 when i can convert my sxt for less. and my transmission is gonna need some ups on it to clutch plate for 1 and maybe get a short shifter for it. and thank you so much guys for your help so far. as far as time and money. i have all of the time in the world, money not alot but in due time i just wanna get everything lined up i noticed one of you guys is in costa mesa. im in anheim. is there any car shows you take your neon to?

Last edited by HEAVYARMS; 08-13-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 PM
mxrnick
Veteran

no i havent been to any shows lately. i went to a mopar meet with like 7 other srt-4s and it was pretty sweet but that was a few years ago. i would like to get into shows again. i prefer racing more though. i want to find a local autox or something. keep us informed on how you srt clone comes along. i have seen other people come on here before asking how to uprade there sxt to a srt and for some reason ive never seen the completed project on here. i think its gonna be a **** load more work and $ than you realize but your gonna learn every inch of your new car. do you do most of the work yourself or do you know of a good local shop? good luck and keep the questions coming

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 AM
HEAVYARMS

,I got the tools, car lift if i ever get it setup. and an air gun so ill probly do most of the bolt on shocks struts and sweay bars stuff my self. but i need to find a place that sells the upped axles that can handle more HP. a few days ago i found a site now for the life of me i cannot find it again. so far i found the motor,and all kinds of ups for it. but still no computer.. but i am looking for a wrecked neon srt4 take the parts off of it and swap it over to my beast. i want it to be a sleeper. i think that i can keep the car under 10,000 and it should out beat most any neons bmws or vipers. lol. it will be done in time. less then 2 years i hope

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
srt4rez
Professional

The cheapest way you can go is to find a wrecked SRT-4, you can try E-bay, or go to Modernperformance. If you have any questions, they'll have an answer for ya. I did find a list of all the stuff you need to change over, can't remember where I saw it, but as soon as I find out, I'll let ya know.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM
mxrnick
Veteran

i found these http://www.moparsupercenter.com/srt4...e.html?cat=796 for the computer i would just get a new stage 1 ecu. i found one for 500 bucks which is more than they used to be but i think they are harder to come by. http://www.turboneonstore.com/custom...7&cat=8&page=1 if nothing else the engine you are buying should come with its ecu theres not much else anyone can do with it.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 PM
70x7
Veteran

Quick Reply: Upgrading to the SRT4