Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

I know, I know

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Four Banger Anger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know, I know

Well i will start off with saying hello, i picked up a 2004 srt-4 couple of days ago and love the turbo pull but had a few questions on boost levels and power output that i should feel. I have read alot allready about 1st and 2nd gear basically spinning but im noting geting that at all. Now i do have brand new BF goods G-force(stock tires) but i would think i should be able to let them loose still, should they be spinning even if they are new? Also i know that when its colder the boost will go lower to compensate for denser colder air but its not that cold to producing 4-5psi right? It hasnt been cold enough to freeze over night and i have read in colder weather you should still at least boost 10psi?

To give you some more info my car at idle sits at 20 vacumn(which is correct), there doesnt seem to be any weird noises, it still feels to pull hard but i dont know any better because this is my first turbo car, my tires cant seem to let loose even if i floor it in first and wait for some spool while at 2500-3000 in 2nd. Also it seems from each shift when i punch it there isnt really a big kick right away which doesnt make sense either since power should be all available at 2200 and up.

Should i take it in, do they check for boost leaks/and have the right tools to do so or would it be better off for me to do so. Is my turbo done or is it just a notorious boost leak that everyone talks about.

I know its probally a bunch of boost leaks but i would like some reasurance from some veterans and turbo junkies.

If i have time in the next couple of days i can make a vid to show you what i mean when i floor it and the boost level trys really hard to stay at 5 psi.

One last question, are the dealers good at diagnoising the problems on the srt-4, are there srt specialts around at dealers.

Thanks

Jordan

Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 AM
BigE
Veteran
Default RE: I know, I know

Yep, you seem to have a few leaks in your system. Mininum boost in any gear should be about 10 psi, and if everything is working right about 15 psi. But if you have leaks, your boost guage will vibrate as it tries to make boost. Sometimes it vibrates so fast it can look blury. Yes you can find dealers that know these cars. It may take a few tires before you find a good one. I suggest to start looking under your hood your self and get acquainted. Start by finding the 5 clamps on your inner cooler hoses. Use this picture to help. Re-torque your 5 clamps every 1500 miles or so. Start reading the other threads about putting on a OCC on your car (oil catch can). It will save you a lot of issues down the road.

Then start putting zip ties on every vacuum line you can find under the hood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25955/0FB8FC9B53514A85A5361335C0B5EC8D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Four Banger Anger
Professional

thankyou very much for that pic, i am going to check over my clamps on sunday since i know where to locate them now. I will also look for any vacum lines and ziptie them. Stupid questions but what would the line look like exactly, are they just the lines to the turbo and intecooler or do you mean everywhere?

An update i took my buddy for a ride today to see what he thought if it was boosting enough, he said it was hiting 11 even 12 near the end of the 10 minute ride....that is good and what it should in cold weather. maybe my biggest problem may be not leting this turbo and engine get hot enough to supply some boost[], i must say in the few days i have owned it i probally havent driven it to its full potential because im still geting used to it, im used to a six speed tranny which required me to shift all the time because of shorter gear ratios.

catch can hey? ok i will pick one up shortly, will that void warranty at all? can i get the dealer to do it?

Jordan

Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 AM
BigMac
Professional

A dealer could give you grief over a catch can -- depends on the dealer. Some look for any excuse to limit your warranty, while others are cool about it.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:44 AM
BigE
Veteran

About the vacuum lines. I would zip-tie all that you can see in the engine bay. There are only a few that you would not have to zip-tie, but I tried to do all of mine anyway. It did a lot of help to my boost levels, when I finally tied them all.