DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-member-area-11/)
-   -   5.2/5.9 V8 owners... please help (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-member-area/27442-5-2-5-9-v8-owners-please-help.html)

idealrides 06-15-2005 06:54 AM

5.2/5.9 V8 owners... please help

I just had a private mechanic tell me that there's a serious problem with the fan on my 2000 5.2 Dakota... he says that it shouldn't turn freely when the engine is off.

If you are reading this and you can go out to your truck right now... please just pop the hood and see if you can spin the large/primary fan that's attached to the engine block (not the smaller electric fan that's directly against the radiator).

He says it should only turn with the engine on. I just want to know before I go to the dealer and make a fool of myself. Thanks.

moparturd 06-15-2005 01:45 PM

RE: 5.2/5.9 V8 owners... please help

That sounds right if it's a clutch fan your talking about.

BadStratRT 06-15-2005 02:11 PM

i know for a fact that i cannot spin the fan on the boss' 5.9 freely. it should turn, but as soon as you let go of it, it should stop turning.

Trippen 06-23-2005 07:11 AM

It should not spin freely but should turn slightly. The true test for the fan clutch is give it a spin. Keep track of one blade if it makes it one full turn around fan clutch is bad.Replace it. Also do this in the morning as they are dependent on heat. They do get tighter the hoter the engine is. or looser can remember which. Very low cost to replace...15-40 dollers and about 30 min to install your self. Many Many years ago when i worked at a "Full Service" station on old Route 66/ I-40 , Fan cluches during the summer were the quick thing to tell all them NYers why their car was overheating. We replaced many fan Clutches Easy labor and most people did not have a clue as their function. Now with a much more honest career. I offer advice to those who sound like they are being had.

Rockhopper93 07-02-2005 03:06 PM

Hello: I just replaced my fan cluch and like the others said it should turn but not rotate freely. kind of like spining drum brakes on the axle if it spins too much something is wrong, by the way it is a lot easier to get the cluch fan off if you have the proper tools, you can go to dodge and you can buy the proper tool or you can go to checkers or Krougen or autozone and use the loan a tool program, it says it it is for a Ford cluch fan but it worked just fine on my truck. Good luck! [8D]

Megashifter 07-06-2005 12:45 AM

Pull the stock fan and install a Permacool electric fan for about $100. I run mine manually under 40 mph then turn it off over 40. No problems (3 years)... less parisitic drag. Ditched the big plastic fan assy too.