New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

about to buy a 88 shadow, please comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Throttle45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to buy a 88 shadow, please comment

found a 1988 dodge shadow 68k miles on it, minor non-operating issues 2 small dents, lock on driver door and a heater core.

please tell me if the heater core is hard to reach on this car. this wont stop me from doing the work myself, just want to know the difficulty i may run into before i jump into the possibly simple project.

was a grandma's car! garage kept.

2.2L Automatic for the wife, 5 door light blue in color, colors can always change though not a priority.

the biggest reason i am here is to figure out more from this car in the next 24 hours before i put down a deposit. and get to know if id like to buy a 2 door 5 speed in the near future. this car looks interesting.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

3 bitches in a bitch boat bad. I have been told that by taking the glove box out and removing some duct work, it can be done easily. I ended up removing the dash. BTW, I have owned several K cars and unless that heater core is leaking, they will usually work by simply running radiator flush for a few days of driving. Chrysler used unusually large ports for the K's heater core and they will usually respond well to a chemical flush.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

p.s. Alumaseal will fix any leak in the heater core, up to about 1/8".

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Aboard Throttle45! I searched the net and found the following...

"...The entire dash has to come out. You will need to remove the console and Speedo cable. Also the radio and HVAC control unit comes out. You will be removing numerous trim pieces, the glove box, fuse panel, vacuum lines heat control slider cable. The steering column will need to be lowered to the front seat. If the vehicle has AC evaporator lines disconnected. A lot of electrical plugs that exist behind the dash have to be disconnected. It is a pretty big job and generally takes more than 1 day (including recharging the AC system, if equipped)...

Don't forget to browse Sub-Forums: K-Cars for stuff related to your ride.

Quick Reply: about to buy a 88 shadow, please comment