New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Help with a 2008 caravan issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
jlbrennan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a 2008 caravan issue

WE have a 2008 Dodge Caravan. There was a strong odor recently which we determined was antifreeze leaking from the Y connector. My husband made a repair and there is no longer any visible leak but the odor is still present though lessened. Smells more when idling. Also, this may be unrelated but the car puts out a lot of heat when none of the systems are on. If the AC or Heat are running it is fine but is nice weather when you don't need them on it is really hot! Nothing coming out of the vent but it just seems to radiate heat.HELP. Frustrated at we have already put a lot of money in this vehicle.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

It will take a bit to burn off the spilled coolant. Give it a couple days, if it still stinks, start looking for another leak.

As for the 'always blowing heat'..... I don't know how that system works... post up in the caravan section, someone there will have a clue.

Welcome to DF!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbrennan
WE have a 2008 Dodge Caravan. There was a strong odor recently which we determined was antifreeze leaking from the Y connector. My husband made a repair and there is no longer any visible leak but the odor is still present though lessened. Smells more when idling. Also, this may be unrelated but the car puts out a lot of heat when none of the systems are on. If the AC or Heat are running it is fine but is nice weather when you don't need them on it is really hot! Nothing coming out of the vent but it just seems to radiate heat.HELP. Frustrated at we have already put a lot of money in this vehicle.
There is a heat shield under the tunnel in the center of the dash (under the car) If it came off or someone took it off to do some exhaust work, major heat will radiate up from it. Possibly even welded aftermarket Cat too close to body. Have a look under there. Just a first thought anyway.

Welcome to DF X2

Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
jlbrennan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for both responses. FYI, the repair my husband made was over a month ago. He said the same thing, give it time to burn off but a month later it is still there. So I am guessing from what you area saying there is another leak we can't see. Ugh. Can I say I hate this vehicle. We replaced the transmission after less that 50,000 miles, radio does not work, the heat is so uncomfortable in spring/fall when no systems are on and now this. (this is the short list). Sorry, I am frustrated.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbrennan
Thanks for both responses. FYI, the repair my husband made was over a month ago. He said the same thing, give it time to burn off but a month later it is still there. So I am guessing from what you area saying there is another leak we can't see. Ugh. Can I say I hate this vehicle. We replaced the transmission after less that 50,000 miles, radio does not work, the heat is so uncomfortable in spring/fall when no systems are on and now this. (this is the short list). Sorry, I am frustrated.
Your frustration is understandable. Try posting your issues in the Caravan section. Thats where all the Caravan experts reside. Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Help with a 2008 caravan issue