New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New with Caliber issues!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM
crazyellybean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with Caliber issues!

Purchased a 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T fully loaded in Feb of this year when our 2001 Saturn got smashed into by a guy backing out of his driveway, which totaled our car.

Here we are 8 months later and just over 100, 000 miles and have a motherload of issues.

1) Radiator Filter (? ) broke in half had to replace it
2) Cylinder 6 misfires we replaced all spark plugs

Car drove fine after that no problems. We started to use the heat.. but only half the car heats up and only well moving. When idle everything goes cold. I stopped into an Advanced Auto and the guy opened up the hood. He found the antifreeze sitting to the top and not moving. He suggested I get the thermostat replaced.

My husband replaced the thermostat after some issues ... for the first couple of days heat seemed to work fine. He burped the car incase there was air in the line as well. Now 5 days later I am back to the same issue.

PLUS.. my ETC light flashes when the car is turned on and warming up. You have to shut the car off, pop the hood wiggle the sensor (or remove and replace) and then the car is fine. I drive 20 miles to and from work no problem after this initial start. Seems to happen only when sitting in idle after a few minutes. Example.. just pulled into my driveway.. been sitting here about 5 minutes with the car in drive. . Put it in park.. sat here another 2-3 minutes and ETC light came on.

So here I am about ready to sledge hammer this POS but I am still obligated with a 3 year car loan and another $6000 to pay off. I am sure we are already upside down on this car as its only been 6 months.

I am hoping that someone can shine a little light on my rainy day here with some other alternative to paying $1000s to take it to a shop.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A diagnosis is $100 or little less. Not thousands. Go get it looked at before you damage it.
And stop letting auto parts store people diagnose your car.

Cylinder #6 on a Caliber? The most common problem on the world engine (4 cylinder) at around 100K miles is the electronic throttle body. If you go for a long time with it malfunctioning, it's very likely the PCM will get damaged. There were also problems around the same mileage with the intake short runner valve getting stuck. Both sort of expensive things, but otherwise that engine has proved itself to be a good one.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-11-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

TNtech is correct. The world engine has been petty good. You need to have the all modules scan for codes and post them.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 AM
BradfordRodgers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase..ride it in good health.

Tevida

Last edited by BradfordRodgers; 10-01-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Calibers did not come with 6 cylinder engines, how could you have a cylinder 6 misfire? What are the codes you are getting?

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-12-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New with Caliber issues!