New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Dodge AWD suv's myth or fact?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:22 AM
403Phaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge AWD suv's myth or fact?

I have heard some "floating rumors" that if your in an awd vehicle your safer in some cases then others, other things I have heard is driving with "different" tires can destroy your ride..

main reason im starting this thread

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango (1st gen)

I am putting on my summer tires, and they are a bit bigger then my winter tires but i have a stripped lug nut, how.. destructive is driving around with 1 different tire on the truck, i mean 3/4 are the same and 1 is different because the nut has been MANGLED beyond recognition

would I be safe to drive TO the mechanics 5k away to demangle my ride? or should I just swap the other front back to winter and have summers on back and winters on front?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The biggest thing is all tires need to be the same diameter. Which only becomes an issue if you are locked in "part time" four wheel drive. (center differential locked.) If you are just in 2wd, it doesn't matter. Just driving up to the shop shouldn't hurt anything.

Welcome to DF! Be sure and check out the first gen Durango section.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
403Phaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it doesn't have the option of 2wd its 4wd, 4hi, 4low,
my summers are 265/35r22
and winters are 265/70r16

so i tossed the 2 winters on the front and 2 summers on the back, haven't moved it but hopefully that will be ok

Quick Reply: Dodge AWD suv's myth or fact?