Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Check Engine Codes Only when I slam on the gas at highway speeds

Old 06-21-2018, 01:16 AM
sathington
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Codes Only when I slam on the gas at highway speeds

2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 130k

So I recently did a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, air filter), oil change and both O2 sensors.

This past week the check engine light has been flashing only when I stomp on the gas while on the highway. Twice it flashed then went away and the third time it stayed on spitting back P0300, P0138, P0305, P0308. Misfires and O2 Sensor.

I brought it in to a mechanic today and he said they cant figure it out but suggest putting Heet in the gas tank and a new ignition coil. I did the Heet and I'm going to do the coil tomorrow.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, anything is appreciated, gearing up for a roadtrip and I'm not the most confident right now going uphill through some mountains with this issue.

A friend said that I should clean the ground wires.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

What brand O2 sensors did you install? How about plug wire routing? Not getting cross-talk are you?

Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 PM
sathington
Rookie

O2 sensors are the same ones that Dodge uses, ordered them through Autozone. Wires put in the correct way.

Like I said its only when I really slam on the gas on the highway/uphill. Other than this issue the van sounds and feels just fine, running much better after the work I did in the past month. Need to figure this out though, hopefully it is the ignition coil.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When my truck started doing that trick, it was the crank sensor.......

Same ones that dodge uses? Autozone? HHhmmmm...... NTK or Denso were stock, the bosch fellers cause more problems than they solve.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM
sathington
Rookie

I replaced the crank sensor when i had a PCM issue 2 years ago, but it was an Oreillys brand.

Yeah, the O2 sensors I ordered were the same ones that Dodge would have ordered for me, at least thats what I was told. Took a week to get them after putting in the order.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be tempted to get a crank sensor from the dealer, or, an OEM unit from somewhere.....

Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM
ramvan61
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello sathington, I just call autozone and asked about ordering mopar parts. They told me, they offer only aftermarket parts. My van is same year as yours and has 98,000 miles on it. These parts have lasted almost two decades. I know the parts from the dealer are much more expensive but why not get original and not have to worry about whether they are really compatible. I would follow HeyYou advice and maybe get a crank sensor from the dealer. Just my 2 cents.worth. Not trying to start any trouble I'm saying my experience with my 2001 van get original mopar parts if you can afford them.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 PM
sathington
Rookie

Hey, yes that is good advice and totally don't try to cheap out when it comes to parts, considering mine is an 01 too, but thats just what Autozone told me. I'm still learning.

Found the part numbers:

https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...ensor/407619_0

https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...ensor/408122_0

Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM
sathington
Rookie

Update: I put in a new ignition coil and tried to replicate the codes again last night on the highway. I had the gas pinned 3 separate times uphill, getting to 90mph one time, and the check engine didnt come back on. Gonna try again today but so far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Codes Only when I slam on the gas at highway speeds