Non-Dodge Members Rides Do you have a non-Dodge that youd like to show off on the forum? This is the place to post information about your nonner!

Father Son Project - Dad's 1977 Plymouth Arrow GT

Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 AM
aircruiser
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Father Son Project - Dad's 1977 Plymouth Arrow GT

Hey guys, me and my parent's have been going through some heavy stuff. Not seeing eye to eye, getting in arguments all the time, it started at 15 and lasted until about 18. We got along alright and then it got sketchy again. But when it was going alright, my dad decided that he wanted to spend time with me and because I am always wrenching, he decided to pull his old arrow out. Keep in mind this thing hadn't run in a good 5-6 years or so, last time I had remembered it running was when I was 12.

Back story on the car was during the gas shortage crisis, my dad had a 1970 Dodge Challenger with the 383. It was a blue coupe with a white roof. To him, it was the one that got away. He brings up that car from time to time and always wishes he had never sold it. But he did and in 1977, he bought his first brand new car. A 1977 Plymouth Arrow GT, manual tranny, very basic car.

Fast forward to me being 18, still has it, ofcourse the two flat tires are the ones against the wall so I had to sneak the air hose in and fill them both up and then I pushed it out while he steered. We got it out and saw how dusty it really was. I washed the car, then pulled my Jeep up and jumped it and we let it run. He had put stabil in it so it was fine and then he took it out for a photoshoot while I followed in my Jeep incase it died. It did fine and then he took it out on the main road and that's when he realized how flat spotted the tires are haha.

Anyways a couple months after that things got sketchy again and it wasn't up until recently I got fed up and came home drunk one night. I realize now I was in the wrong, I do drink occasionaly but mainly just a few beers while wrenching or after work with the guys but that night I had a ride and was feeling sorry for myself and just got smashed. Ofcourse being intoxicated, mom was mad because she grew up with an alcoholic dad and didn't like me drinking and some things were said but then it all came out. I told her how I didn't like the way dad acted around me and how I never felt like we got along (me always in the garage and him always inside on the computer) and just pretty much spilled my guts.

Anyways, it actually turned out for the better because my mom told my dad what I said and he realized that with me moving out soonish, I wont be around as much and he realized that he was losing me. I will spare the sappy crap but it kind of relates haha. Anyways, now that we are on good terms, this spring I really want to get the car running right. The new age gas has rotted the fuel lines and carb so I am going to rebuild it for him in my free time which I really don't have but I also plan on buying him new wheels and tires for the car because he really wants some new wheels along with tires.

Sorry for the long post but typing this up makes me feel good because I am glad we have found something to do as a true father son project again and it brings back memories when I would go out in the garage when he was working on the car and he would teach me, (before he got old and grumpy lol). I have had to teach myself alot of stuff about vehicles because he didn't like my off-road habit with Jeeps and lifting them and modifying suspensions and motors/axles/etc. He likes to keep everything mostly stock so who knows, I may end up teaching him which will be interesting!

Anyways, here's some pics of the car I took on the day we took it out when I was 18 and my old Cherokee which being a dumb teen, thought it looked cool with a ton of stickers lol (back when my Jeep was on 4.5" and 34s)

Name:  DADSARROW1.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  DADSARROW2.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  DADSARROW3.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  DADSARROW4.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  DADSARROW5.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  DADSARROW6.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  DADSARROW7.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  DADSARROW8.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  DADSARROW9.jpg
Views: 4195
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  DADSARROW10.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  34.6 KB

I just wanted to share since he mentioned it tonight about getting the car running and I figured it would make a good somewhat background/intro since I plan on visiting this board alot now that I own a Dodge.

And he also has a 2004 2500 Ram 5.7 Hemi 4x4 he uses to tow the family camper. Kind of grew up around Mopars Haha!

Thanks for looking and I will post updates this spring!

The following users liked this post:
Down Eastah (04-20-2020)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:34 PM
phillip123hastings
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From father to son! Great project

Old 10-23-2016, 01:59 PM
lvd2340
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does he still have the Arrow?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Dailtom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my first new car also. Does he still have it? If so, where is it located? It looks in good shape.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:21 AM
Ray Bell
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This car was sold as the Mitsubishi Celeste in Japan, in Australia it was the Chrysler Lancer Hatchback.

It would be good if the OP continued this thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Father Son Project - Dad's 1977 Plymouth Arrow GT