GM KILLS ITS RWD Platform!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM KILLS ITS RWD Platform!

General Motors confirmed that it has stopped development on vehicles being designed for a new rear-wheel-drive platform in the North American market.

Zeta was believed to be the platform GM was going to use for the next-generation Pontiac GTO and new Chevrolet Camaro as well as possibly a pair of new Buick offerings, the Velite sedan and convertible, and maybe a midsize, performance Chevrolet sedan.

Some observers suggest GM scrapped what was to be a low-volume Zeta lineup to turn to a platform that could accommodate higher-volume cars, crossovers and SUVs in rear- and all-wheel-drive.

David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich., says this is no surprise, considering GM was not gaining market share or filling its coffers last year, either. "I'm also not surprised that they'd look at an AWD platform as well," he said. "The Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle and Mercury Montego have proved AWD is much more popular than people thought it would be. AWD in cars has really caught on."

redriderbob

Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 PM
OG MagDak
Professional
Default RE: GM KILLS ITS RWD Platform!

chrysler really needs to do some much heavier advertising of the lx cars with awd - i think there is a lot of people that dont realize it. like this article says: ford 500 proves that awd is popular- and awd is also the only reason why the 500's are selling very well

Old 03-30-2005, 10:04 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Awd is stupid in my opinion. You don't need Awd on the highway. It's just a waste of gas. 4wd is the best way to go and should be the only option available in Suv's.

-Matt-

Old 04-10-2005, 06:45 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Viper-GTS

Awd is stupid in my opinion. You don't need Awd on the highway. It's just a waste of gas. 4wd is the best way to go and should be the only option available in Suv's.

-Matt-
Obviously you have never driven one. I've owned one (a Talon) and driven Audi's. Its good for handling - just not for top end.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:34 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Funny since more and more Caddies are coming out RWD.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love AWD. I want DCX to make a Dodge Stratus SRT-6 with 290 hp and AWD. Now that would be awesome! lol (never gonna happen)

Old 06-11-2005, 02:08 PM
MadmoparYJ

Plus Gm makes nasty all wheel drive vehicles already.......I drove a awd bravada or something and the drivetrain bind was so bad the truck would stop around a turn if you were not on the gas......they can keep there "all wheel drive"

Old 06-11-2005, 02:57 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm...odd, i thought this was about me, because the mirada and i have been killin GMs rwd platform cars for years!

Old 06-11-2005, 04:33 PM
big asp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Viper-GTS
Awd is stupid in my opinion. You don't need Awd on the highway. It's just a waste of gas.
Stupid?

Since when is traction stupid? I have an AWD 300C. It is incredible. From snow and ice to dry twisty mountain roads, you are driving on rails. Great handling in stop and go traffic or out on the open highway. BTW, I get practically the same gas mileage as the RWD 300Cs.

Ever ridden in an STi or an Evo? My kids race STis. You want to see what AWD can do hitch a ride in one. Oh, bring an extra pair of shorts - you'll need them.

Strat, I can relate.

Quick Reply: GM KILLS ITS RWD Platform!