Tundra Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tundra Recall

Anyone else hear about the dual Tundra recalls? It puts a smile on my face....

One regarding the gas pedal (now they admit it's pedal design and not just the mats):

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/25/auto...s+(Top+Stories)

and another for the frame experiencing corrosion (referenced in the above article): "In a separate issue on Tuesday, federal regulators announced the recall of 110,000 Toyota pickup trucks. The U.S. highway safety agency said road salts can cause "excessive corrosion" to the frame of the Toyota Tundra."

Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM
CaliAthlete
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagerly awaiting my 2010 Ram 1500 QC Laramie...ordered it w/ the Ziebart protection package, which is supposed to rustproof and help prevent corrosion to the frame and stuff. More info here:

http://www.encs.com/warranty.aspx?id=83

I figured living on the coast of CA the salt air will be more of a problem than if I lived somewhere inland, which is also why I went with as little chrome as possible (got real bad pitting on my Dakota's wheels, despite regular polishing).

Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
socaliallstar82
Professional

The rust recall was for 2001-2003 models. Ive yet to hear anything about the pedal recall, but thanks for the heads up. Why does that bring a smile to your face again?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socaliallstar82
The rust recall was for 2001-2003 models. Ive yet to hear anything about the pedal recall, but thanks for the heads up. Why does that bring a smile to your face again?

The pedal recall was announced just today. Toyota concluded it has something to do with the gas pedal not the matts as previously announced.
They also are implementing some kind of system where the brakes will kill the gas if it’s wide open or something like that.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
IR Ram

I had an 07 Tundra with the big V8. It was a VERY nice truck. Mine had the TRD package and was fully optioned. The engine was STRONG, but there were a couple of issues. The main one for me was the tailgate - which was no where near as beefy as the one on my RAM.

I did experience the "pedal" issue a couple of times and it was darn right scary at first! I had aftermarket floor mats that did not attach well and every time the throttle stuck you only had to lift off the accelerator and pull the mat back with the heal of your foot.

Of course the "learning curve" to this trick is what is so dangerous. If you don't learn the first time you just might not get a second oppertunity.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by socaliallstar82
It doesn't really put a smile on my face... I just work with a bunch of guys who drive Toyotas (and Chevys) and they're always trying to talk crap about Dodge quality. I've had 3 Rams and have only had my truck in once between the 3 for an issue. My Corvette was in multiple times and this just showed that even Toyota makes mistakes.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM
72combo
Champion

Toyota is recalling even some of their Lexus models for the gas pedal problem. They are not sure if its the mats or some module under the hood. Now when your gas sticks think quick put it in neutal and shut it down. Am I the only one who took defensive driving classes when I was 16. They spent more time teaching how to avoid bad situations than they did driving.
Even our Dodges might be at risk for something like this, with the electronic gas pedal instead of mechanical. My first experience with this was an 08 Sebring LTD I leased, I found the gas pedal had a delay it seemed, I had no clue it was electronically controlled, I did know I had the hard time getting the portable hand controls to stays on because the plastic pedal was plastic all the way up, one piece moulded part. It had a curve part on the back I would say for strength which caused the controls to not want to stay in place. Sucked, had to keep tightened them every 100 miles or so. Thank god the brake was flat on the back, it stayed tight. Rush hour on the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto and you can feel your hand contol getting loose, good think my wife could tighten it. We gave up on the way home, we took them off and she drove.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They are recalling 8 models for the gas pedal and that annoying Prius for ABS issues. They can't even sell new ones right now!!!
Toyota = FAIL

They have been covering up this type of thing for years. If the Government wouldn't have pressured them into the recall. They wouldn't have done it. Big fines are coming for Toyota for the delay!! It's about time!!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Now that more news is coming out it does seem like they've been covering it up and not like the timely response it seemed like at first.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I think the fines are just deserved...No one company should cover up any defects, EVER! As soon as something is found they should immediately recall.

Quick Reply: Tundra Recall